What wood should I use .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrygary

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm about to get my first scroll saws I'm not sure what wood I should use and not use , not sure what I be making but would like to make some signs .
Can i use old pallets if I cut down the blocks and remove the nails Thanks advise needed . (homer)

Harrygary":3m59yj7x said:
Hi I'm about to get my first scroll saws I'm not sure what wood I should use and not use , not sure what I be making but would like to make some signs .
Can i use old pallets if I cut down the blocks and remove the nails Thanks advise needed . (homer)

Given the amount of time and work you'll put in, I'd buy better material than that, if you can.

BugBear

bugbear":2qnlhr6p said:
Harrygary":2qnlhr6p said:

Given the amount of time and work you'll put in, I'd buy better material than that, if you can.

BugBear

A friend of a friend uses old pallets for some scroll sawing jobs, but apparently he has the machines to transform it from a piece of scrap wood to a decent looking piece of wood. My only woodworking tool is the scroll saw, so a piece of pallet would most likely still look like a piece of pallet when it was finished. On the other hand, if you are one of those talented people who can make a silk purse from a sow's ear, I'd say go ahead and use whatever is to hand. If it's not for sale, it doesn't really matter how much time goes into it as long as you enjoy the process. Of course, if you intend selling, it's probably not worth the time spent reclaiming the wood, as bugbear rightly points out.

Martin.

Hi Harrygary. First of all welcome aboard to a great site,if I was you I would buy or borrow some wood maybe pine to start off with.If the wood off pallets is smooth you can use that to get used to cutting the wood.I would definitely keep away from MDF the dust is not good for your health.

Bryan

Hi Harrygary
welcome to the most informative site on the net. I have tried to use pallets with some poor results, the wood tends to split and there is always a knot where you don't need it! I also tried red and white deal, again a lot of knots. If you are using ply, try to get birch ply, ordinary ply has gaps in the layers, and you will find them again where you don't need it! I find MDF ok for practice but the dust is horrible,(and dangerous) so buy a good quality, mask the standard dust masks you get in hardwares are not up to the job. I live near a joinery works and they let me have some off cuts really cheap, if there is one near you it might be worth having a chat with the manager. I find it good because I can try different types of wood. Hope you enjoy scrolling!!!
Regards
Brendan
If a hammer doesn't fix it, you need to hit it harder

I'm wary of pallets because their history is unknown. I've worked in places that had all kinds of hazardous chemicals. The pallets used would get the occasional spill but afaik, no regs to stop those same pallets ending up in a food processing plant. Or in someones workshop.

Hi harrygary and welcome to the forum I been making and selling my work for three years now and I have used different kinds of wood as for the pallets to make signs from sounds a good idea as time spent reclaiming it equals out paying for any !!

seems it would be ideal for rustic type signs some things to bear in mind make sure it not too thick to cut but it should be ok you may need a sheet sander to smooth the wood but with it being soft wood would be quite easy , you can also use the wood like you say to practice on.

in the past for my work I just used planed soft wood from my timber yard diff thicknesses for two years I made all my work from this and it cheap and easy to cut.

birch plywood is the recommended ply wood as good quality and cuts really nice about 40 pound for an 8x4 sheet from timber yard.

just use what you can get your hands on play around get creative with what you have and have fun ! another thought with the pallet try and get pieces that a pretty flat as if they are warped it will be harder to cut as can vibrate a bit but I cut
warped pieces before just takes a bit more practice

I got given a load of old church wood pitch pine that I made into different things there is nothing more satisfying than recycling some scrap wood.

the forum old threads should help you with blade number choices what type of machine etc

all the best mark

Back