Oak Internal Shutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Another job I am currently working on is a large commission for internal solid oak shutters for an old listed building - these are slightly unusual from normal as they are housed in their own frame to enable the top third to be opened independently of the bottom section as requested by the clients - the first set has been made and fully approved by the client this evening and have now got to make another three units identical in design, but marginally different in size. I think I will be sick of mortice and tenon joints and fielded panels by the time they are all finished.

Good lord Rog, do you ever sleep? :eek: Do you live on a diet of Red Bull? :lol: They are very nice looking shutters and I know just what you mean about those repetitive sort of jobs. I once had 16 raised panel wardrobe doors to make and I was sick of the sight of them in the end. :roll: At the moment I don't want to see another fluted column. Do you raise the panels on the saw or by spindle moulder?

Spindle Moulder Alan, each panel is raised on both sides also to the reverse side is an exact copy of the front.

As for the Red Bull - those of you who know me well will confirm I have a caffeine addiction!!! :mrgreen:

Lovely looking shutters Roger, what finish has the customer requested?

thanks for sharing
Steve

Dodge":kzz04ahs said:
They will be finished with pre-cat for durability.

Fantastic work Rog.

Excuse my ignorance but what is "pre-cat" and how is does it compare with other finishes in terms of application methods and look?

I usually use Osmo oil on oak.

Pre-catalysed cellulose based Lacquer - I am intending to spray this on as good water resistance and conscious that there may be condensation on the inside of windows.

Well you may remember i started these a short time ago and having made the sample one for the clients they them confirmed the design and they four sets were scheduling into my workload. I must admit they have not been the most enjoyable of jobs due to the repetitive nature of the paneling but I got them all delivered and fitted for the clients today and have a very happy client.

Whilst I have made shutters before this is the first time I have been asked to make ones in this manner where either upper, lower, or both sections can be opened - hence why I opted for a narrow internal frame rather than just hinging directly to the frames.

Below are a few photos I took before I left

What a brilliant Job, both in the making and the finished presentation.
Good old fashioned heat loss control, privacy and security enhancement all rolled into one.

Thanks Richard!! (hammer) (hammer) Anyway customers have also now asked me design and do a suite of fitted oak office furniture for their property.

They are the same clients I made this wardrobe for last year

I love customers like that.....always coming back for more! When that happens, it goes to reassure your doing a good job (and the fact your business is still going is a testament to that as well)

Lovely looking shutters, but I think they need new curtains....they just don't fit in!!

Oh, the customer is not always right. The customer is king, but not always right!

Dodge":260efouh said:
Pre-catalysed cellulose based Lacquer - I am intending to spray this on as good water resistance and conscious that there may be condensation on the inside of windows.

Another cracking job Dodge. Do you never sleep?

I'm interested in the finish as I shall be looking for a satin finish (40% sheen?) for some oak end panels and drawer fronts for a kitchen. Which Pre-Cat do you use? Morrells? Fiddes? Any hints or morsels of info about how you go about it that you could throw this way please?

RogerM":33twchgq said:
Dodge":33twchgq said:

Another cracking job Dodge. Do you never sleep?

I'm interested in the finish as I shall be looking for a satin finish (40% sheen?) for some oak end panels and drawer fronts for a kitchen. Which Pre-Cat do you use? Morrells? Fiddes? Any hints or morsels of info about how you go about it that you could throw this way please?

Roger,

I get my pre-cat and acid -cat delivered to me from Symphony Coatings (Used to be Syntema) and part of the Beca Acroma Group.

I tend to buy gloss,satin and semi matt and use dictated by my client - sprayed through a standard gun and compressor feed rather than a HVLP system.

Works for me!

Back