Finish over gold leaf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine

Established Member
Reaction score
I am finishing a fruit bowl and it has some gold leaf on it over Jo Sonja iridescent colours. Can I just spray chestnut acrylic gloss lacquer over it all to finish or do I need to use shellac first?

Cheers
Elaine

Is the water base of the acrylic compatible with the colours and bonding for the leaf ? (thinking of colour dilution or blending before acrylic dries)

Suggest a test piece first but I can't see any reason why it should not be fine mechnically.

Would have thought that shellac would have been more problematic.

I have used micro crystalline on the leaf I have done and it been fine. Put it on with a soft cloth and then buff gently. If you use a spray though make sure all the leaf is firmly fixed or it can get under at the adhesive and loosen it.

Pete

Is it genuine gold leaf or "pretend" ie made of metal that isn't real gold but is gold goloured? If it's real gold it won't tarnish and would be quite happy with an acrylic lacquer over the top. If it's pretend gold, you should probably use whatever lacquer is recommended by the manufacturer's of the pretend gold leaf. I have used acrylic lacquer over pretend silver leaf (actually aluminium) with success, but have had problems in the past with acrylic lacquer over pretend leaf based on copper (it discoloured the leaf - which was an interesting verdegris effect, but not what I was looking for at the time.)

It's real gold leaf. Thanks for the advice. I have everything I need now ready to go. Thanks for taking the time to answer, as always really helpful.

Back