Kitchen workstation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a few pics of my latest project. It's an addition to an existing kitchen, built to house a fancy cooking/blender gizmo called a Thermomix.

Just putting the drawers in today, I was short two boxes so have to go back and finish the left hand section tomorrow. Carcasses are mfc in crema and all fronts are painted 22 mm Mr mdf with 6 mm panels. I don't often get involved in supplying painted stuff but this time I've got my own painter in and I'm supplying a finished job. It's a nice change as I don't often see my work painted/finished.

The wall unit needs painting in-situ and all the base needs a final coat. Dovetail drawer boxes were bought in from a helpful forum member who works at Isaac lords , cheers Paul.

You might spot my new bessey clamps I treated myself to ,should have bought some years ago

Excuse the quality of the photos they were just quickie phone photos. Luckily enough the client is a photographer so I might get a few better ones when its finished.

Oh there's a fancy extractor going up too to the left of the wall unit.

8740094277_250cedc39f_z.jpg
8757882027_bab9cb4a17_z.jpg

8757882777_9a3a9239ef_z.jpg
8759009196_b0417f3f35_z.jpg

Thanks Pete I looked at spraying but the first quote I got was ridiculous. Then I found out that the original kitchen was hand painted anyway so I ended up using a decorator that has painted a few of my jobs. It's actually the first time I've met him :lol: , he's recommended me for jobs and he's also been in after I've left jobs but this is the first time I've got to meet him.

The bases have to have one more coat and obviously the wall unit needs painting still.

A few pics from today the plinth is still raw mdf and will be painted the same colour as everything else. The plinth is one piece with mitred and dominoed corners

8766445258_51c8623e3e_c.jpg

8774787754_471599456b_c.jpg

Router table and one of the set of cutters used to make the fronts
8711128022_6686aec67f_c.jpg

Unit looks good, what did you edge the mfc with?

Seems to be a theme with people wanting things sprayed but the prices being stupid. Might be a niche there.

No skills":1cx0ibwj said:
Unit looks good, what did you edge the mfc with?

Seems to be a theme with people wanting things sprayed but the prices being stupid. Might be a niche there.

My supplier edges everything for me , its just the usual 0.4 mm edging they do thicker 2 mm as well which you can have rounded if you want.

longinthetooth":q6uzwe6j said:
Did you make the router table (that's not a silly question)?

Yeah I built it, there's a thread on it here somewhere its never been fully finished :lol: I just whacked an mdf box on it quickly the other day so i could use it for this job, before that it had no support it was just a router table top that I made years ago.

Ive built quite a few mdf shaker style panel doors which Ive painted myself.

Ive experiemented with brush, roller and spray. In my view after all this I would conclude the following:

- Brushing is the most time consuming but gives a very "warm" hand made feel to the finish. Must be done competently or there's no end of trouble
- Rolling (with a mini roller foam pad was the best) was actually surprisingly good. Very fast, very flat finish and by using the edge you easily get paint into the corners of the panels. Now my preferred approach for the finish (satin style) coats
- spraying is really quick and really flat but huge gyp to setup...hence everyone outsources it and then the cost spirals. I only spray in the summer now when I can do it outside....even then only works when the wind is sufficiently low, not raining etc (so as you can imagine I haven't done it since 1976!!!). However, if posible I do spray the primer coat on, its incredibly fast. I'll give you a tip too....ask your painters merchant to mix the Dulux/F&B/Sikkens etc colour into the primer mix as well as the top coat. Then your water based primer is already the right colour instead of white....makes better coverage. They're not strictly meant to do it....but the decent ones will :)

But for the satin or gloss top coats....the mini roller works a treat...I'll dig out an oak top cabinet I made using that technique in a tick.

To spray properly of course....its extractor booth building time...space....time...money...ouch.

Here's those pics I promised. I've not done a WIP on this. The oak top was AWO with bread board ends (its two pieces joined in the middle because this sideboard is over 2m long)

Attachments

• resize batch1.jpg
    resize batch1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,877
  • resize batch2.jpg
    resize batch2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,877
  • resize batch3.jpg
    resize batch3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,877
  • resize batch4.jpg
    resize batch4.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,877
  • resize batch5.jpg
    resize batch5.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,877
Yeah I've had success with the foam rollers doing stuff for myself. I never paint stuff for customers I use a painter I know who's pretty good, he's round there tomorrow to finish all the painting.

Painter has finished now and I've been back and fitted the extractor after getting a roofer in to fit a pipe to the pitched roof above.

A few more pics but the extractor wasn't up when I took these. On the home straight now , I've also been busy building some bookcases in another room.

8928522675_805843e4ac_c.jpg
8928520271_a543a2eb8b_c.jpg

8929122710_24ec4479f1_c.jpg
8928517555_29e7918e42_c.jpg

All finished, the customer is a photographer so wanted to get this photo of me standing next to my work :lol: if id known I would have had a shave and dressed up :lol:

1009563_10200549270669237_41717856_o.jpg

No skills":l3d0hcna said:
The units turned out well, cant you get them to change the door to the right of it - doesn't fit in :)

Ah that's where you're wrong :grin:

The end panels are vee grooved and match the doors they're even the exact same colour.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Back