The Woodrat thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
It seems my Woodrat question has whetted the appetite of some for further discussion on the Woodrat in general so thought I would kick off with a new general thread.

I have only just bought mine from eBay and ordered some genuine Woodrat cutters that are on way.

I have found some really good reference material on the net.

So

What do you know?

Mick

I have got it home and it's fixed to the wall of my workshop. Have fitted a straight half inch cutter and made loads of mess so far.

But intend to play with it in anger over the next few days as I am off work until the weekend.

I really need to get at it with a square to make sure all is right.

I found the PDF by Mike Humphrey very good and he does courses.

ftp://ftp.meekings.net/WoodRat/Mike_Humphreys_tutorial.pdf

Mick

I looked at the excellent Woodrat videos and could see how well the system worked, but - unless I have misunderstood something basic - does it not depend upon a reference point being aligned with a pencil mark, with the ever-present possibility of not getting it quite 'spot-on'.

Other joint systems with metal or plastic guides have the accuracy built into the guides so it would appear to be impossible to go wrong.

I have not used a Woodrat so I may be totally mistaken, but as the OP seemed to be inviting discussion of the system, this is my two penn'orth :shock:

As a novice user I am interested in all views. But my limited experience suggests the pencil method is in fact a bonus rather than a hindrance. It seems to give me more flexibility and the result does look like really good hand made joints.

Mick

The pencil marks enable you to get it spot on - we are talking about woodwork not metalworking to thous of an inch?

Rod

Don

I think what I was trying to say was that you can use a non symmetrical spacing for dovetails with much finer tails that cannot be achieved with other jigs.

The standard jigs have very fixed spacing that always look machine made.

Mick

The pencil line, especially as used on a Woodrat, is not a barrier to working to the highest levels of woodworking precision. Think of it as closer to a vernier than some half inch thick chippy's pencil!

dm65":3bu1j4y0 said:
What do you think of the woodrat so far then Mick ?

Well I have not really used it in anger yet just played with it but my intention is to get into the workshop today.

I have a small box in mind to hold all the bits and bobs so would be a good start.

Am going to try to use up some reclaimed oak from old kitchen doors.

Mick

Thanks Mick - love to know your thoughts as I was watching videos again last night and swung towards Leigh again (I know its limited to dovetails, but it does look ever so good)

I didnt mention it before, but remembered last night one of the most common uses of my woodrat- shooting the ends of boards square and level. I did it on some table legs last night, but it is so quick and easy to setup that it rivals a shooting board!

Latest posts

Back