Power tool fault within 12 months advice required please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
Last October I bought a Dewalt SDS+ hammer drill from Screwfix. http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d25013n-gb-2kg-sds-hammer-drill-240v/92018

I had owned and used the previous model without a problem for about 3 years. I replaced it because the clutch started to slip. Other than that it had been a great tool.

The current model has started to throw green grease out of the cooling slots and make a rattling sound after prolonged use. It hasn't been used any differently than the previous one. Along with the fact that a new more expensive model of the tool has been launched to be sold along side mine would indicate that the one I bought has been downgraded on quality from it's ancestor.

Screwfix have offered a collect, repair and return service, but with no extension to the 12 month guarantee. So after the 3 weeks or so that it's away, I have for my money a repaired tool (that I use daily), with only a 3 month guarantee, and every indication that it will go the same way again within the next year.

I've asked for a full refund as the goods are not fit for purpose. The online customer rights information is sketchy and non specific. Can anyone give me some guidance as to whether or not I am 'entitled' to an instant refund?

It would also be a great inconvenience to be without the tool for the repair period, and would have to be replaced temporarily somehow.

Hi Graham

You've used the drill daily for some 9 months so its obviously 'fit for purpose' and Screwfix stand by their/Dewalt's guarantee to repair. I can't think of any grounds you've got to get the purchase price refunded. Probably not what you want to read and I appreciate you need a drill whilst the repair is undertaken.

I've not come across a manufacturer that gives any other than the remaining time on an original guarantee when replacing or repairing goods - it's all they have to do, legally. You paid £n for something with n years of guarantee - it was all costed in.

hanser":1l7raoqa said:
Hi Graham

You've used the drill daily for some 9 months so its obviously 'fit for purpose' and Screwfix stand by their/Dewalt's guarantee to repair. I can't think of any grounds you've got to get the purchase price refunded. Probably not what you want to read and I appreciate you need a drill whilst the repair is undertaken.

Sadly for the OP, I believe that the above is a correct summary of the position.

Grayorm":24fhu2jj said:
Thanks guys, unfair, but it seems to be the case. Oh well, Makita from now on then.

Try not to think of just one make, they all make rubbish now and then! I wouldn't be pleased either by the way, i've got a 12 year old sds dewalt that has been dropped of scaffolding and generally abused id say for a good 8 years solid, intermittently since then, never had a brush changed and it lives in a box with half a pound of dust and crud, as happy today as when i got it!

I Try to think metal gearbox's, decent motor that kind of stuff, makita or not although that happens to be the make of the fantastic big old right angle drill i have :)

Dean

I've read and re read your opening post, what exactly seems unfair.

I doubt you will find a single company which would offer another year guarantee on a repaired item.

Unfair would have been if they didn't honour the guarantee.

I personally will not have another Makita drill Both my core drill and Li-on drill died a week out of the warranty period
Makita were not interested so I have stopped buying their products once bitten twice shy LOL
For a cordless I have A Milwakee and two Panasonics and an AEG
TBH
I now use the two drills from Titan they both come with a 3 year warranty and I have failed despite tryng very hard,,,, to break either of them and they are now out of thier guarantee period ( paid £60 and £70) SO when or rather if they die I will get the same again

Roger

doctor Bob":28r5vprd said:
I've read and re read your opening post, what exactly seems unfair.

I doubt you will find a single company which would offer another year guarantee on a repaired item.

Unfair would have been if they didn't honour the guarantee.

Unfair is that I bought in good faith a drill that obviously isn't good for purpose. They will repair the dodgy part with a potentially equally dodgy part and only guarantee it for the remaining couple of months left in the original guarantee, so getting them out of the problem 6 months later when it fails again.

RogerBoyle":2l20s286 said:
I personally will not have another Makita drill Both my core drill and Li-on drill died a week out of the warranty period
Makita were not interested so I have stopped buying their products once bitten twice shy LOL
For a cordless I have A Milwakee and two Panasonics and an AEG
TBH
I now use the two drills from Titan they both come with a 3 year warranty and I have failed despite tryng very hard,,,, to break either of them and they are now out of thier guarantee period ( paid £60 and £70) SO when or rather if they die I will get the same again

Roger

It's frustrating Roger. It would be nice to be able to depend on a manufacturer, but as ever the manufacturers want as big a profit as possible (swines :D ). I think the strategy must be to reduce the quality of an item once it becomes an established market leader and has a dedicated purchaser base. I am on my 2nd Makita 18v cordless in 7 years and am happy with the most recent one. I've had and re-sold the Makita core drill, unimpressed. Milwaukee are probably a good bet at the moment as they are trying to get a foothold here I think so you can reckon it will be the better stuff.

It's disappointing but the best you'll get unfortunately. Not a hope of any manufacturer extending their guarantee past the original period as both legally and morally they will have fulfilled their obligations and honoured the published guarantee by excecuting a repair.

Unfortunately there is no one manufacturer from whom you can guarantee the tool you buy will be faultless. If you search you'll find many who swear by a make and or model whilst others who report nothing but problems from the same. All in the luck of the draw!

Just as an aside, my personal opinion is that particular model isn't heavy enough to be trade rated and it may well be that your 9 months useage is equivalent to several years DIY use?
I own a much heavier DeWalt (at 3 times the price) and have had several years very heavy use so far. At least as good as my previous makita of similar spec. You get what you pay for and £100 is DIY in my book.

just my twopennerth.
Bob

Lons":3tah2bl5 said:
It's disappointing but the best you'll get unfortunately. Not a hope of any manufacturer extending their guarantee past the original period as both legally and morally they will have fulfilled their obligations and honoured the published guarantee by excecuting a repair.

Unfortunately there is no one manufacturer from whom you can guarantee the tool you buy will be faultless. If you search you'll find many who swear by a make and or model whilst others who report nothing but problems from the same. All in the luck of the draw!

Just as an aside, my personal opinion is that particular model isn't heavy enough to be trade rated and it may well be that your 9 months useage is equivalent to several years DIY use?
I own a much heavier DeWalt (at 3 times the price) and have had several years very heavy use so far. At least as good as my previous makita of similar spec. You get what you pay for and £100 is DIY in my book.

just my twopennerth.
Bob

You're right about the £100 value for money Bob, but it replaced the identical model that lasted 3 years and is still going strong in my sons DIY tool box. The only problem is a slipping clutch when using bigger masonry bits, which he will never need. That as much as anything is why I am disappointed. I was so pleased with the first one, I simply bought another without even looking round.

Hi Graham

TBH, most power tools are not built to last anymore. However they have offered to repair it, so take them up on it and get a fairly new drill out of it.

riclepp":huf55je4 said:
Hi Graham

TBH, most power tools are not built to last anymore. However they have offered to repair it, so take them up on it and get a fairly new drill out of it.

I'll prolly end up doing that, thanks for the input

Having spoke to my sister who works in law. She told me that the fit for purpose ruling governed by the EU covers items for 6yrs. Whether it covers this i don't know. As to the warranty normally a lot of companies give the replacement part anything up to a 6 month warranty.

I remember buying my 1st pc from pc world about 8yrs ago. After just under 11 months the motherboard died. It was taken back to pc world and eventually after speaking with the manager he replaced the pc. Due to the fact i had been waiting over 3 weeks for the motherboard to be replaced. So i was sent round the store with an assistant to find a new pc closest to the original spec. I was given a brand new pc, but the warranty was only for what was left on the original purchase ie 1 month.

Grayorm":1ch5gy09 said:
You're right about the £100 value for money Bob, but it replaced the identical model that lasted 3 years and is still going strong in my sons DIY tool box. The only problem is a slipping clutch when using bigger masonry bits, which he will never need. That as much as anything is why I am disappointed. I was so pleased with the first one, I simply bought another without even looking round.

Yes Graham but i think the mass influx of cheap chiwanese powertools (and everything else) has forced quatily down along with price and as riclepp says, they ain't built to last these days.

I've read this 6yr bit as well, but I understood it to be mains stuff - maybe battery is different. I suspect some companies guarantee the part, but wouldn't re-guarantee the tool - why should they, unless they price it into the original price and use it as an advertising point.

Robbo3":1qj1zav2 said:
What you need to know is contained in The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SOGA).

There are lots of web pages on the subject eg
- http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... goods-act/

Thanks Robbo. All ready been there. This sums it up

"Returning faulty goods
If you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to reject it which means you can give it back and get a refund.
But, the law only gives you a reasonable time to do this – what's reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is.
However, even with major purchases or complex items, it’s safest to work on the basis you usually have no more than three to four weeks from when you receive it to reject it."

Back