May Challenge. "A table Lamp (electrics optional)"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
As can be seen by the viewing figures the monthly challenge seems to be a popular subject on the forum, but we need a few more entries to keep the interest up, so I will reiterate - the challenge is open to anyone and everyone, of all skill levels and that means you shy newbies, as well as the more experienced. (I'd only been using the lathe 2 months before joining in the challenge back in 2010 and look at me now - building spaceships!).
The knowledge is here to be shared so if you're unsure of how to do something, just ask, we were all newbies once dont you know!
So

A Table Lamp.

To be made on the lathe using wood turning tools.
no minimum or maximum size.
any shape or design.
It may be made from one piece or made of multiple parts (preferably all turned).
Decoration, colouring, texturing is allowed, (but remember it is a turning exercise.)
Electrics are optional, please do not do any electrical work if you are not comfortable or competent with such work.

This months judge will be Paul Hannaby

At the end of the month there will be the 'Post your entries here' thread. this thread will remain open for 2 days during which time you can upload the required pics of your entry, along with a brief note about how you made it, what tools and finish you used, what wood (if known) and the objects dimensions. (this helps the judge and plagiarists ).

Please post 3 or 4 images of your work / entry as follows...

1 showing a general view
1 showing a side profile
1 showing an underside view
1 optional photo showing the lamp with shade/ bulb fitting.

Image size please use image size 640 x 480 0.3 mp, same previous months

Please upload your pics and description between ..

10pm on the 26th May
and
10pm on the 28th May

After this time the thread will be locked for Judging
Results will be given on or around 30th

Any entry's that are outside the rules and requirements will not be judged
The Judges decision is final ( Any negative comments re judging must be via PM only and not on the open forum )
NO Critique or comments on any work until After the Judging and results.

I expect there may well be questions about this month, if so post them in this thread. Dont be shy!

Best of luck

If like me, you dont have a long hole boring set up there are other options.
The simplest being one of these...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bottle-Lamp-Hol ... s=lamp+kit
or one of these...
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... CHAQ8wIwBw
Alternatively you could cut your timber in half lengthways, route or machine grooves on each side and glue back together to create your central cable run.

And if anyone else has any alternative solutions to long hole boring a lamp please feel free to post them here.

Most of the turners supplies shops will have lamp holders in one guise or another as will most diy shops etc

Thinking caps on!

nev":22ivdm73 said:
the challenge is open to anyone and everyone[/i][/b], of all skill levels and that means you shy newbies, as well as the more experienced. (I'd only been using the lathe 2 months before joining in the challenge back in 2010 and look at me now - building spaceships!).
The knowledge is here to be shared so if you're unsure of how to do something, just ask, we were all newbies once dont you know!

I agree with Nev, I really do enjoy the challenges, just to make me think about alternative projects and practices. I only got the lathe in January this year and made the Acorn box in month one. I dont expect to beat the experienced guys and girls for technique or finish, but they don't have the monopoly on creativity.
I am not about to get embarrassed about my efforts, if nothing else it will leave a timeline of progress :D (or lack of it) :(

I have foud the judges to be forthcoming in their critique and guidance if asked for comments.

Now, where's that lump of timber to start the table lamp?

Phil

Being as the boring is usually the first thing you do when making lamps (well I do any way), there's no reason you couldn't pop over to a neighbouring friendly turner and use their setup to bore the hole.

I'm in Ashford/Kent, if anyone needs to do this.

al3ph":152r2pgx said:
Being as the boring is usually the first thing you do when making lamps (well I do any way), there's no reason you couldn't pop over to a neighbouring friendly turner and use their setup to bore the hole.

I'm in Ashford/Kent, if anyone needs to do this.

Good Man!

Of course the remit does state (sort of) 'any shape and size' so it doesn't have to be a one piece tall thing that requires a long drill :idea: :idea:

I attended a turning course a few months back (I'm a beginner) and the tutor showed us his solution to long hole boring. It was an ordinary lip and spur wood bit welded to a steel rod. The welding part may be difficult for woodworkers without a welder!! but it's always worth making enquiries locally. Possibly your local friendly garage where you take you car for servicing (and they want to keep your custom, so may do a small job for a nominal fee). Alternatively, get a cheap arc welder (and mask etc), read up on welding on the web, and give welding a go. I use a basic arc welder and bed iron (freebies) for making all my machine stands, mobile bases etc. Quick, easy, strong. I also make up gated to keep the horses in (yes, my wife is into horses). I buy box section steel locally and the resulting gates are stronger than some of the galvanised ones I've bought, which are now banana shaped.

If the bit was to be used in a rotating drill then it would need to be fairly accurately welded to avoid it whipping. For long hole boring though, the bit stays stationary, so as long as it's strong and reasonably straight then it should be fine. You could try a metal cutting bit or a spade type instead if sharpening is an issue with lip and spur.

I haven't tried any of these for long hole boring, but I did weld a rod to an ordinary 3.4" masonry bit when I needed to feed a copper pipe through a wall under a shower tray. The final bit was over 1 metre long and worked fine. The important thing is to withdraw the bit very regularly to clear the waste, else it can jam in the hole. This is even more important when using a bit with a rod attached since the rod has no spiral to help clear the waste.

K

This is what I use, standard lip and spur brazed onto a shaft, needs a little more time taken in enforced withdrawing to clear debris but that's not a bad thing anyway.
DSC02753crop.JPG
DSC02754crop.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02753crop.JPG
    DSC02753crop.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,585
  • DSC02754crop.JPG
    DSC02754crop.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,585
I thought you'd be along with that one - I copied it some while back. If anyone gives it a go, it might be worth doing what I did - get a piece of angle iron a few feet long and cut slot in the "V" at the bottom 30mm - 40mm long so that the drill and the bar can sit in a straight line under their own weight and you can heat if need be from underneath. It's one way of keeping them in a straight line. They're quicker to use if you lubricate the drill; I used some oil and wax that happened to be handy. I made one with a lip and spur and one with an ordinary bit - I found the ordinary bit better. When I make another, I'll try to get a long series drill bit, to gain a bit more chip clearance.

Fortunately I have a metal lathe so was able to tenon the shank so no alignment problems.

nev":3ang61wv said:
Gary Morris":3ang61wv said:
are you allowed to fill any cracks with a substance of your own?

I shall refrain from making any childish comments :wink: but yes you can.

Sometimes I feel I have strayed to some other forum that you read about when looking in a magazine store for a woodworking book and your eyes accidentally stray to the top shelf . :oops: :oops: :roll:

I wanted to do this challenge but I'm away on holiday from Thursday so won't have time, sorry for the lack of support. I'll make more effort from June.

Promise I will do the july Challenge new here and on a 7 week holiday away from my shop! its a hard life but sometimes u can't always stay with ur tools :( Really like the forum spend way to long on it procrastinating.
Regards Richard

Back