Probably will buy ELU P/T EPT 1901. Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlinename

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I am probably going to buy an ELU planer thicknesser model numer EPT 1901.

The guy will sell it to me for 150GBP including a floor stand and some spare blades. He said it runs perfectly fine and I can take his word for it as he is reliable and a good woodworker. He will also demonstrate it for me before purchase.

My questions are the following.

1. Is the price reasonable?
2. Can I get spare blades in the future if I need to? With a quick google search it seems to be quite an outdated machine so I am a bit concerned about this.
3. The way you set the thickening or planning level is with a lever rather than a fine rotating knob adjustment. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this accurate?

Hope you guys can enlighten me :) thanks!

Outdated? I do not think it is older than 20 or 30 or possibly 40 years. The term outdated referes to square cutter heads and the like ;)

Ordinary straight resharpenable HSS knives are sold in all sizes by a multitude of makers. I bought new knives for an over 50 years old machine from a dealer who had no clue that such a machine has ever been made. We just compared measurements until we found the correct model. However I am not sure if your machine has ordinary knives or if they have some holes or other specialities in them as some newer hobbyist grade machines have in order to prevent people from buying standard knives. I suppose those holes could be made in one way or another if needs arise.

hah yes perhaps I was quick to say outdated. Thanks for the advice, I will look into the blades and perhaps find a solution.

Anyone else on the machine itself?

Try this eBay seller for the blades.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/1905jeremy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

I think they are called Appleby something?

Anyway this is where I got my last set for my aged Kity 439.

Is the Elu a 200mm cutter block?

Failing that try Cutting Solutions. Douglas is a little more expensive but can sometime achieve the impossible.

The Elu should be a good buy. A very respectable make in its day before being bought out by B&D.

I have several Elu routers and they perform faultlessly.

Mick

Back