coronet major lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joethedrummer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and hello to all woodspinners, this is my first post and you might hope it is my last!!
I have a pre 63 coronet major which i cannot get slow enough for bigger bowl turning.
I am thinking of creating a layshaft to reduce the speed. There used to be one of these available as an option,, has anyone seen one and could describe it? .
Or have you got any better solutions ?
Best regards ,,,joethedrummer

I have a similar lathe. I replaced the original motor with a 3 phase one and bought an inverter. I now have full variable speed without switching belt pullies and have maintained excellent torque.

Richard

Coronet Major 09 - P10 & P11 (Medium).jpg
Date unknown but Figures 29/30 show the speed reducing countershaft & its assembly.

Attachments

• Coronet Major 09 - P10 & P11 (Medium).jpg
    Coronet Major 09 - P10 & P11 (Medium).jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 7,299
Hi Joe
Welcome to the forum i have got the speed reduction pulley that you are enquiring about and would be happy to email you some photos and any other details that you require. You need to make a couple or so more posts before you can pm me but as soon as you can , pm me your email and any details you want and I will dig it out and send you.

Regards Berns

Hello,,Richard,,Robbo,,& Berns,
I am just "knocked out" by the help you fellas are giving ,, I will digest all your information and get back to you all.
Many many thanks,,joe

Only hearsay, but think I've read somewhere that the reduction gearbox for the Coronet is horribly noisy. But adding ear defenders to the essential respiratory protection isn't difficult!

Hi good fellas,
Richard,, I can see many benefits from your solution,,but the initial cost of the parts make this a pricey way forward but I will see if I can source parts more cheaply and try to find a tame electrician to price the install,,
Robbo,,thanks for the pics of the countershaft etc,,I have found the mounting hole in the back of the headstock and I"m now fiddling about figuring out sourcing parts for building one,,
Berns..thanks for your kind offer,, I will certainly PM you ;(Berns for PM I say); when I am able,,re the bearing arrangement for the pulley and pulley sizes , etc,,
Dick M,, I read that somewhere as well, but getting hold of a reduction gearbox might entail a visit to a museum somewhere !! The wife has taken to wearing my ear defenders,, C"ant think why !!
Regards,,joe

hello once again,,3 phase and the inverter is quite expensive but i can see its attraction,,sooooo,, i have started to create my own layshaft with the help i received from you good fellows ,,
i have procured a double needle roller assembly with a 16mm spindle and some bar which i hope will carry the bearings via a bearing block in the right area for the 2 step pulley ,,
i would really appreciate your feedback on my progress so far "don"t hold back",,
i will try to add a picture,, might be gone a while,,

best regards joe
the photo file is too big ,,,,helpppp

hopefully , we might see a picture or two
pops shed 020.jpg
pops shed 021.jpg

:?

Attachments

• pops shed 021.jpg
    pops shed 021.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 6,991
  • pops shed 020.jpg
    pops shed 020.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 6,991
Hello all woodspinners,,had the welder out yesterday and welded up the counter shaft,, assembled it onto the lathe and it works a treat,, the twin pulley came from RDG and gives a reduction of 2.5 : 1,,so i have ended up with a bottom speed of about 480 rpm; , a better speed for larger dia: work than the 1200 rpm: ,,
Now off to make chisels meet spinning wood !! next message could be from the local hospital :?

Attachments

• pops shed 027.jpg
    pops shed 027.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 6,593
  • pops shed 026.jpg
    pops shed 026.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 6,594
I like that.
Also agree with the comments about guarding.

Is the saw table height adjustment wheel mounted vertically to take up less room?

Hi Robbo,,thanks for your past help,, yes the saw bench and planer are under the bench out of the way so i tipped the height adjuster up so i can use the tool post stand when the headstock is turned 90 degrees,, Have taken on board your advice re the guarding,,

If you ever hear of a short tool rest and the stand that attaches to the leg for turning with the headstock rotated, let me know please! Seems to be the only bits missing from my Major. The projects looking good - if you need the mortising attachment I have one with mine that I'll never use.

Hi,, Stiles and Bates in Kent make some nice short tool rests,, so nice I copied them and made a set for myself (man and shed syndrome ),,can"t help with the stand "cos I think my Coronet is earlier than yours,, but ( here we go again ) I made a remote stand which I"ll photo and post if you want it might give you an idea,,
Lets have some pics of your finished machine please,,

Hello woodspinners,,,
Took all your advice and made some guards,,, ( good job you are here to curb my actions),,
joe,,,

Attachments

• pops shed 030.jpg
    pops shed 030.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 4,029
Hi Joe the drummer
Just found your pic of the speed reduction set up.
I have a Major mk3 and want to reduce the speeds to enable screw thread making for a repair I have been asked to do.
I can see from your pic that in essence the pulley goes between the drive and driven pullys on the lathe but cannot see the pattern or size of the pulley. I wondered if you could let me have pics showing the pulley looking from the side together with any measurments of actual pulley diameters.

I would like to have a go at turning the pulley, in wood, as I already have a bearing block that I could use to mount it.
Alternativly was 'RDG' the model making supplier in Yorkshire?

Hoping you can help
Thanx
Nigel

i use a lathe speed controller on my coronet hobby lathe, works a treat. get them on ebay ,

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJHkFFluiW-q5BR1zQVLm0!~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJHkFFluiW-q5BR1zQVLm0!~~60_12.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,945
Hi WoodySteve, which motor do you have on your coronet hobby lathe? I have a Major with a Brook Crompton 2850rpm 1hp motor, think it's rated at 6Amps. Someone told me a while ago that some electronic speed reducers can make the motor buzz and get hot and lose some power/torque. Sounds like a great solution for speed reduction but would hate to ruin a good motor and have the hassle of trying to source another or have it fixed. If yours is the same motor I might give one of those gizmo's a whirl if you say yours works fine.
Cheers
Jaypee

Latest posts

Back