Laying a solid wood floor in a large kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich123

Reaction score
Hi there, we have recently extended our kitchen and it is approx 5 x 9m. The new part of the kitchen is concrete flooring with a dpm included and the old is a suspended wooden floor. I would like to lay a solid oak floor, which is tongue and groove. I have fitted an engineered wood floor previously in the rest of the ground floor using a fiber board underlay successfully. I know that I should lay the boards in the direction of the longest wall i.e. the 9m. I was looking for some advice as to the best method of laying the actual solid wood floor. I was thinking of using an adhesive underlay, do you think it would be suitable for the size of room? I think I will need to do some self leveling on the transition between wood and concrete (old and new floor) but other than that the floor is level.

I can imagine your thinking why not lay an engineered wood floor in the kitchen? the reason being i am thinking over the years as it is a kitchen the floor will take a battering so it will allow me to re-sand and treat the floor etc....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

rich123":2mkkea7a said:
I can imagine your thinking why not lay an engineered wood floor in the kitchen? the reason being i am thinking over the years as it is a kitchen the floor will take a battering so it will allow me to re-sand and treat the floor etc....

Having recently sanded my parent's engineered wood floor back for them thinking all the while "Please don't go through the beech layer" I can understand your reasoning entirely, I was terrified I was about to ruin it pretty much the whole time.

Self adhesive underlay is perfectly suitable.
I laid oak t&g for a customer almost 7 years ago to the whole ground floor of a stable we had converted. That was 3 rooms, including kitchen, 2 at approx. 6m x 14m and the smallest at 6m x 9m.
It's as good as the day it was laid.
The only advise I would give if you haven't used it previously is to be careful until you get used to it as once it sticks, it's virtually impossible to remove. Don't ask how I know #-o

Bob

If you do use the adhesive stuff then keep the offcuts. It's excellent for the base of ornaments (turnings), lining drawers, toolboxes even draughtproofing. The list is endless, I even used some for a fishing flies box and though it doesn't last, it's free to replace :wink:

Bob

Interesting......... we've just got rid of our solid oak floor in the kitchen! Maintenance was just too time consuming, and never particularly effective, so there was always slight water ingress into the finish, resulting in grey patches which SWMBO loathed.
So if anyone wants about 10 sq m (probably 8 useable) of 1" oak flooring, let me know..............

dickm":1xcsjean said:
Interesting......... we've just got rid of our solid oak floor in the kitchen! Maintenance was just too time consuming, and never particularly effective, so there was always slight water ingress into the finish, resulting in grey patches which SWMBO loathed.
So if anyone wants about 10 sq m (probably 8 useable) of 1" oak flooring, let me know..............

What was the finish?

This particular job was an oiled finish and it's had loads of spillages (and the odd dog mistake) and all they do is give it a once over with oil and a green scrubber.

Bob

Lons":14rpgbb6 said:
What was the finish?

This particular job was an oiled finish and it's had loads of spillages (and the odd dog mistake) and all they do is give it a once over with oil and a green scrubber.

Bob

Don't know what was the original finish, as it was installed when the house was built in 2000 and we didn't move in until 2007, by which time it was already tatty. I suppose we could have stripped it back to bare wood and used oil or something similar, but my feeling was that it was a lost cause. For a kitchen, that is - the same stuff is used over the whole of the rest of the house, and is fine, although it does creak a bit.
Actually, the prevalence of wood in the house was part of the problem - it has bare wood ceilings as well, so it's a bit overpowering.

(Wouldn't dare tell woodies what is replacing it in the kitchen:( )

dickm":3skj0n09 said:
[(Wouldn't dare tell woodies what is replacing it in the kitchen:( )

Has to be either laminate or ceramic tiles :)

I know what you mean about overpowering. a wood clad ceiling always seems claustrophobic imo.

Bob

Back