New lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter 001

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody
After reading few posts in here I have just put an order for an Axminster Hobby Series AWVSL1000 Woodturning Lathe.
this will be my first lathe.
now need to look for a set of basic tools, little search showed positive reviews for Robert Sorby 67HS Chisel Set but I wonder if there is any other cheaper alternative.
also is there any other chuck instead of the expensive Axminster K100/K800 and finally any good source to order few sanding papers and some wood finishing oil.

Hello and welcome,
Chucks - Axminster, Record Power and Sorby. Record power is probably the cheapest. Just make sure you get the correct thread to match your lathe.
Chisel (Gouge) sets - Record power again or the Sorbys. Sets invariably contain a gouge or two that you won't use very often if at all so buying individual gouges can be the way to go and may save a few quid (but not a lot) but for simplicity I'd plump for a set.
Sanding Paper (abrasives) Avoid the pound shop stuff, try the RhynoGrip Plusline sample pack from Richard Findlay - https://turnersworkshop.co.uk/woodturnersupplies.html, or Abranet.
You'll also need to sharpen your gouges very often. Cheapest method is a 6" bench grinder with a white wheel and a homemade rest. Again Record Power (can you see a pattern emerging here :) ) for the grinder and the obligatory book, Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley has a guide for making a tool rest as well as being about the best book available for new turners.

nev":pxplirz5 said:
Hello and welcome,
Chucks - Axminster, Record Power and Sorby. Record power is probably the cheapest. Just make sure you get the correct thread to match your lathe.
Chisel (Gouge) sets - Record power again or the Sorbys. Sets invariably contain a gouge or two that you won't use very often if at all so buying individual gouges can be the way to go and may save a few quid (but not a lot) but for simplicity I'd plump for a set.
Sanding Paper (abrasives) Avoid the pound shop stuff, try the RhynoGrip Plusline sample pack from Richard Findlay - https://turnersworkshop.co.uk/woodturnersupplies.html, or Abranet.
You'll also need to sharpen your gouges very often. Cheapest method is a 6" bench grinder with a white wheel and a homemade rest. Again Record Power (can you see a pattern emerging here :) ) for the grinder and the obligatory book, Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley has a guide for making a tool rest as well as being about the best book available for new turners.

+1 for Nev's advice

I have the Robert Sorby turning set and use all of the tools so not a waste of money in my eyes but the I did not pay for mine as I won them in the very first turning competition I entered

I have a cheap bench grinder with this specification:
- 6" (150mm) grinding wheels
- Power: 150W
- Voltage/frequency: 230-240V/50Hz
- Speed: 2950rpm
- Size of abrasive wheel: ø150mm x 16mm x 12.7mm
- Wheels material and type:

I am trying to buy white alumonium oxide grinding wheel for tool sharpening, what grit shall I buy? 80, 100 or more.
There are some cheap on ebay for just £5. Are they any good?

80 grit seems to be the norm for white ali oxide wheels suitable for HSS gouges.
The RP one is 40mm wide so gives a nice big surface for the sharpening of wider tools etc.
https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/produc ... 9/sn/RSBG6

If you splash out 20 quid then you may consider a Ruby one too, half way down this page...
https://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Grindi ... heels.html

No idea if they will fit your machine, and no experience of cheap eBay wheels but I suspect they are not of the same quality as the more expensive ones.

Some info here...
http://www.peterchild.co.uk/grind/grindingwheel.htm

Why not take a trip up the A34 to Didcot and visit the ToolPost? Peter will give you honest and free advice and even let you try things in the training room.

Dave

I am trying to buy white alumonium oxide grinding wheel for tool sharpening, what grit shall I buy? 80, 100 or more.
There are some cheap on ebay for just £5. Are they any good?[/quote]

Don’t go for the e bay cheapies. I bought an alli oxide 120 grit from Axminster. It comes with several inserts, for different sized grinders. I think it cost about £15 inclusive. I ended up, buying a Robert Sorby pro edge belt grinder. Quite expensive, but worth every penny.

Hi Saw the comment about buying a ProEdge.
Im thinking of getting one worthwhile? Also wonder if there is a similar machine made by others, regards okeydokey

okeydokey":o0gw676h said:
Hi Saw the comment about buying a ProEdge.
Im thinking of getting one worthwhile? Also wonder if there is a similar machine made by others, regards okeydokey
The good points of the Proedge are build quality & repeatable accuracy of the settings. Bad point is the price.
Nothing else like it as far as I know, but elsewhere on the forum it has been suggested that Axminster may have a competitor in the pipeline.

Back