Priming Walls before Tiling - HOW?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a full kitchen to tile, I have stripped everything back, fixed all the holes,and removed anything that flakes and all the other rubbish and leveled mostly everything + Have Sanded every rubbish from the walls off to make a good base. However the wall is dusty now from sanding which I feel wouldn't be the perfect combo with tile adhesive.

How do you prime a wall before tiling? Or do you even prime it? I remember last time I tiled it was in bathroom and I tiled over mostly the blue tanking stuff+ the rest of the walls I just keyed in to get more grip and it was ok.
I already searched on the internet,however there are lots of mixed feedback, some say just pva,some say avoid pva, some say use what the tile adhesive suggests ( pva...) ,and than there are one person who has gone all over the internet and posted/Spammed in tons of places that how he is some kind of PRO and that he must give guarantees for his work so he uses some special kind of expensive primer (cough...snake oil promoter...cough..)

The tiles are heavy travertine+ marble in some places. was thinking about just keying the walls again and priming with a bit of pva or wallpaper adhesive.

Pic of the walls:

0ITnZ8u.jpg

I've only needed to prime a tiling job once, just used 50/50 water/PVA and brush it all over.

However, if the wall is mechanically sound and the dust is only from sanding, just damp it down with a drop of water.

Some of my more 'photogenic' jobs :-D - https://postimg.org/gallery/1o5aq0vmi/

NazNomad":3ua9urph said:
I've only needed to prime a tiling job once, just used 50/50 water/PVA and brush it all over.

However, if the wall is mechanically sound and the dust is only from sanding, just damp it down with a drop of water.

This :D

Just buy the correct primer for the adhesive you plan to use - it's not expensive and should there be a problem down the line the adhesive manufacturer won't want to know if you haven't followed their system.

I use a lot of Weber adhesive and their primer is about £10 for the 1 litre bottle, it will do that room easily with some to spare. Make sure you use a decent cement based bagged white adhesive too for those tiles, ready mixed stuff won't do.

so basically if I don't want to go to store to get SBR, I can just key the wall and get rid off the dust with spraying plain water on it?

I use Bal adhesive and primer. The primer is cheap and not worth skimping on a big job like that. Makes tiling easier as the tiles slide better when applying. Also stops the adhesive drying out too quickly. Use powdered adhesive, not the tub stuff.

MrDavidRoberts":3w0bd99e said:
so basically if I don't want to go to store to get SBR, I can just key the wall and get rid off the dust with spraying plain water on it?

Yep...

Also, +1 for BAL adhesive.

What Bill and Steve said. =D>

Yes you can skip the primer but there is an increased risk of failure and as said the adhesive manufacturers will quite rightly tell you to go forth and multiply.
The primer cost is pennies in the overall cost of the job so why on earth would any sensible person not do it properly.

Most of my tiling was done to earn a living and therefore reliability was essential to my reputation.

Bob

Proper tile primer like others have said..
But a tip I was given is, SBR with some powered adhesive thoroughly mixed in then rollered onto the wall. Stipple coat I think is the name. Works a treat every time I've done it.

n0legs":1zdj8x5l said:
Proper tile primer like others have said..
But a tip I was given is, SBR with some powered adhesive thoroughly mixed in then rollered onto the wall. Stipple coat I think is the name. Works a treat every time I've done it.

Slurry coat. Usually only used on (potentially) problem surfaces. The SBR needs diluting about 3:1

All the replies to your thread on the tilers forum told you to use the correct stuff but you seem to be still trying to avoid it :roll: :roll:

oh I live in sticks, and the nearest store which stock it is 3.5 hours roundtrip :( , I tend to get creative when I don't want to waste half a day driving somewhere or waiting for days for delivery to come. lol.
did 1/3 of the room today and just keyed the f out of everything+ got rid of the dust with just plain water,I don't think there's a chance for a failure, If there will be, well than... I will make a new thread :D

I really don't see why you asked the question in the first place tbh as it seems you had decided already not to accept advice. Sometimes makes me question why some of us bother trying to help.
Not a problem for you of course as if it fails it's your own job and not for a customer and lack of patience is understandable if you are so far away from a supplier. Maybe you should have posted your question before buying the other materials and could have got the primer at the same time?

cheers
Bob

Any tiling job is only as good as the person fixing them... Read what you will into that, but good luck. :-D

Back