Dubuque clamps and the cheap 'Paul Sellers' clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
I've decided I need more clamps (who doesn't?) as basically most of mine are just F style clamps of various lengths.

I was thinking of going for a combination of the more expensive Dubuque clamps and the Paul Sellers recommended cheap ones.

The Dubuque ones are obviously more expensive (3 times the cost). Does anybody know the cheapest place to buy them? From the lovely Dieter Schmidt (fine-tools.com) I can get 4X 1200mm ones come in at about 160 EUR including delivery to the UK. There is an additional cost here in that it is impossible not to load the 'basket' up with lots of other items as the fine-tools site is full of nice stuff ;)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I bought a set recently, but have not used them yet, seem fine on a cursory glance.

Mike

I've got a bunch of the cheaper Alu clamps, and with a couple of modifications find them really good. Great for panel glue ups and long clamping of cabinets etc

MattRoberts":mr57uckt said:
I've got a bunch of the cheaper Alu clamps, and with a couple of modifications find them really good. Great for panel glue ups and long clamping of cabinets etc
My plan is to buy 6 of the 600mm "Paul Sellers" ones (from Screwfix as the handles have the metal ends rather than plastic) and get 4 of the longer 1200 Dubuque ones.

Have you had any problems with the heads breaking on the cheap ones?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Not the heads per se, but there is a weakness in the grub screw that keeps the head on - the pressure from tightening can shear it. I simply drop a small nut in there so the tightening screw pushed against that and not the grub screw, and job done.

And of course I added the wooden battens to the insides a la Paul Sellers
96d527700f209776e409c10c8ac3bef7.jpg

I too got the Paul Sellers clamps and modified them with wooden strips. The clamps that work are great, but two of the eight I got are rubbish. The head does not tighten/loosen without considerable fiddling, almost as if it's pinching on the rail. I've confined them to a corner and only use them when I really have to. So if you can try them out before buying (easier said than done I know), then you def should.

Back