Which chuck would you recommend for a Record DML 305?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redkite

Established Member
Reaction score
Let's clarify that, I'm looking for something that will cover several options but at the moment my main interest is bowls.

The Rp2000 has received positive comments but is it capable of holding a 12" bowl?

The Nova G3 seems to have been discontinued, I might be able to chase one down on the interweb?

I'd really appreciate the benefit of your experiences.

Many thanks,

Steve

P.S. I do intend to get myself along to the next club event in mid-Wales.

Steve,
I would go for an Axminster SK100 for that size lathe as it doesn't protrude too far over the bed. The 'A' or 'C' jaws are ideal for holding bowls of that diameter with the 'C' jaws being more versatile. I have three of these chucks and never had any problems.

Dave

I have the rp2000 and it would probably do bowls to 12". If that is your aim though, I would go for something bigger- one of the 100mm chucks seems ideal.

The rp2000 is brilliant for goblet sized bits and smaller. It is ok up to the capacity of my mini lathe, which is 10" over the bed, but even that I am a bit nervous of anything thicker than a platter.

one other consideration is if and when you put button jaws on the rp2000. between max and min, you don't have much adjustment at all, and I am always between sizes. It wouldn't be suitable for reversing a bowl on because it won't go big enough. At least with a 100mm chuck you have a bit more adjustment.

Thanks Dave, I'll look at them again.

Thanks for this Marcros, good info.
I'm an ex-Loiner myself.

Dave Brookes":3oq8pmjv said:
Steve,
I would go for an Axminster SK100 for that size lathe as it doesn't protrude too far over the bed. The 'A' or 'C' jaws are ideal for holding bowls of that diameter with the 'C' jaws being more versatile. I have three of these chucks and never had any problems.

Dave

+1 I have two of these and they cover all my needs.

Austin

On the assumption you do not have any scroll chucks you should consider jaw choice of each quality manufacturer, Sizes, amount, cost in the future. I started 27 years ago with a Multistar and several jaws, with a Tyme Avon lathe. years later when I was ready for a bigger lathe I swapped the Tyme for a AWVSWL Axminster lathe which I now use and I bought a Super Precision chuck from Axminster and now I have 2 SK100's a goliath for my cole jaws and most, if not all Axminster jaws because they still fit the older Super Precision chuck as well as the new SK ones. I changed the Multistar backplate for the new spindle size so my choice is Axminster.
John. B

Thanks for all the advice, thought you might like to know that I went for the SK100.

Looking forward to putting it to work tomorrow.

Steve

I use a record power sc4 chuck.I think it is brill! No negative points at the moment. It is heavy and would do large bowl turning projects.

ou may want to see this thread about chuck mounting chuck-sticking-on-headstock-spindle-face-t54120.html if you are new to woodturning (it was not clear from your original post if you are a newcomer or an old hand at wood turning).

Thanks minilathe, a lot of interesting info there. Actually I'm a novice, I hadn't realised chuck sticking was a problem I had to watch out for. I have a plastic milk carton drying, ready to produce a washer.

Back