Mahogany Coffee Table - completed at last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John15

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally completed this table and am pleased with the result. It's made from a very old re-cycled gate leg table and is all mortice and tenon construction. I found some of the grain very difficult to deal with except for the legs which are very straight grained and 'soapy' to the touch - a different species? It's finished with 3 coats of Polyx mat hardwax oil which is a bit patchy on some of the reverse grain - hopefully it will mellow in time.
The design is based on a Paul Sellers Masterclass coffee table, but very much slimmed down as his was too chunky for my taste. I also originally intended to form an oval top (after receiving advice in an earlier post) but the boards I salvaged were neither long or wide enough so settled for a rectangular shape.

John

completed mahogany table 010.JPG

completed mahogany table 012.JPG

Attachments

• completed mahogany table 010.JPG
    completed mahogany table 010.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 288
  • completed mahogany table 012.JPG
    completed mahogany table 012.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 288
That looks really nice. I'm not surprised you are pleased with it.

What will you make next? Recycled wood again?

Really nice job,I particularly like the through tenons,I would be proud of myself if I had made it,proper woodworking.

Very nice, the curved stretchers and tapered legs really help to lighten the design.
How did you find the Polyx to use? I've considered using it for my kitchen worktops but cant decide between the Polyx and Osmo.

Mr Teroo,
Not sure yet. I think the thing is to keep pushing yourself but not too much for risk of failure and disappointment.

Will,
I put it on with a 1 1/2" brush as thinly as possible. It was easy enough to apply and as mentioned above the result is good except on some of the bands of reverse grain - possibly not Mahogany??

John

Nice. I do like to see proper joints.

Yeah, those legs look to be a different species. They even have a hint of walnut about them.

John15":huis31kb said:
I've finally completed this table and am pleased with the result.

So you should be, that's an excellent job. Full marks for the curved apron rails and the tapered legs, both lighten the design a lot.

=D>

Hope you're inspired to tackle more projects, you've certainly got the knack.

john, I honestly prefer your version to the one on woodworking masterclass, the proportions are less chunky, that's some impressive work. I'm guessing the legs are sapele and the top is genuine mahogany? looks amazing

John15":2tf2ia8a said:
Mr Teroo,
Will,
I put it on with a 1 1/2" brush as thinly as possible. It was easy enough to apply and as mentioned above the result is good except on some of the bands of reverse grain - possibly not Mahogany??
John

Thanks John

Many thanks everyone for your kind words. Very much appreciated. I'm thinking my next project will be either a side table or a chair.

John

Lovely job John. You’ve motivated me to make another coffee table now. We need one as our two year old has trashed the last one I made!

Back