Gladius in oak and walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer Giles

The biggest tool in the box
Reaction score
I'm making a roman sword with my 8 year old daughter, so far we have got a nice straight grained piece of oak thicknessed to 9mm and we have cut out the sword shape with tang on the bandsaw. Next steps is to glue a couple of pieces walnut together for the guard and pommel, then put the bevel on the blade.

Thinking about the bevel, because the blade is curved and the bevel angle will change from the centre line to the edge depending on distance, I'm currently in the pub deliberating what would be the best way to do this.

The router table isn't deep enough cutter wise, even with a long kitchen top trimmer in it, plus the larger width of blade stops me getting to the thinner bit easily and I would need to change the angle by eye.

Sanding takes too long with oak, even with an oscillating bobbin sander or belt sander.

I was hoping to get the daughter engaged in all the woodwork, to that aim I think it will be bulk stock removal by plane/spokeshave while she's abed then she can sand it tomorrow.

Photo's later, any ideas welcome.

Cheers
Andy

A spokeshave is what I'd use, it's quicker than setting up the router.

Veni, Vedi, Vici!

I think I would probable use a spokeshave but I would let her have a go, my son had his own spokeshave 6 and still loves using it.

Matt

A spoke shave as others have said and let her do it. However I am not sure it wants to be too sharp it could do a lot of damage.

Thanks guys, I'll use the spokeshave, I will let her have a go after she's finished making the ginger bread men :) it's a spokeshave I recently found in the workshop, not sure where it came from, needs a sharpen.

Cheers
Andy

Here's where we are so far, the oak was a right pig to shave, I sharpened the blade with a nice secondary bevel on the scary paper and it worked lovely on softwood and a piece of scrap walnut but although the oak's grain was relatively straight, nice long shavings were few, and it chattered plenty, I adjusted the depth of cut and angle of the dangle quite a bit but it didn't want to play nicely but we did remove what we wanted.

I put if down to my inexperience as I don't think I have used a spokeshave since I left school. When I did find a bit that wanted to play I let the daughter loose on it and she was fine.

This is what we are making, no not the biscuits :)

P1060599.jpg

Charlotte just finished sticking the template to the timber

P1060597.jpg

Blade cut out, shaved with the spokeshave and lightly sanded.

P1060600.jpg

That's it for today, she's well pleased, I think she thought we were going to just nail two planks together in a cross.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1060599.jpg
    P1060599.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 190
  • P1060597.jpg
    P1060597.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 190
  • P1060600.jpg
    P1060600.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 190
A wooden spoke shave is a far better tool than a metal one which needs to be tuned very well to work without chattering.
Preston ones are good but wooden ones are normally very cheap and work well.

Nice sword, I have made them from birch ply in the past, I made a ply AK47 for my sons play!

Pete

That looks fun!
I wonder what you have in mind for the grip?

And will you be making some shields next? - I think you should!

Charlotte did make some ginger bread men yesterday, It wouldn't take much to add a sword and shield :)

If we were going to be all authentic, then a calves metatarsal bone is the way to go apparently, although other bones and materials were used. I did look at the polyester ivory that turners use but 20 quid for a piece big enough goes against my Yorkshire upbringing. As there is no rush, next time I'm in town I will have a word with one of the several butchers in the market and see if getting the requisite bone is easy or not. If not I think we will just use a bit of ash I have, it's nice and pale.

Here's the spoke shave I used, I think it's a Stanley 151 but it only has Stanley on the blade and only made in England, C1371 and 40 on the casting.

P1060601.jpg

P1060602.jpg

P1060603.jpg

P1060607.jpg

As I had to keep and eye on Charlotte baking ginger bread men, the sword was clamped to the kitchen table whilst shaving which I don't think helped with the chattering.

Yes, the missus is away with the eldest daughter at Harry Potter's world, and I have cleaned up all the shavings :) She will never know........

A friend has offered to knit Charlotte some Roman chain mail so I think a hasta spear and a shield may be along shortly :)

Attachments

• P1060601.jpg
    P1060601.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 97
  • P1060602.jpg
    P1060602.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 97
  • P1060603.jpg
    P1060603.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 97
  • P1060607.jpg
    P1060607.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 97
Hi Bob

That is an efficient way of making a toy sword but this is part of a school project where they are looking at construction and materials hence why the sword is a bit OTT. The aim is not an exact replica, its wood, but a good imitation. Besides, that construction method wouldn't get her involved much apart from finishing. I did let her go at cutting out the sword shape from the template on the bandsaw, but that techniwue is a bit too much up front and personal given most of the A&E depts have closed around here :)

She will learn more woodwork techniques this way too, she's showing a lot of interest. And it's also more fun fore ;)

Hello,

You really want a flat soled shave, no need for the round one on that job. Makes it easier and less chattery.

Mike.

woodbrains":1f2c3ooe said:
Hello,

You really want a flat soled shave, no need for the round one on that job. Makes it easier and less chattery.

Mike.

Hi Mike, I thought I had a flat soled shave, but when I found it I found it to be curved. However I was just browsing through ebay tonight when a flat soled shave came up with the same casting number as the one I have. I have a funny feeling I will find that casting number in most I pick up, it is supposed to be a Wilson Lovatt No168 but I suspect its a Stanley and Wilson Lovatt were just rebadging it, I could be wrong. Anyway I bought it and will have a play with that on a similar bit of wood when it arrives.

shave1.jpg

shave2.jpg

I will pick up a wooden spokeshave or two next time I'm at a decent flea market etc.

Charlotte decided on Ash for the handle, so no need for a trip to the butchers this weekend :)

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• shave1.jpg
    shave1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 18
  • shave2.jpg
    shave2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 18
Back