Osmo choices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
There are a million and one choices! What is best for tool handles please? I often use Danish but would like to give osmo a go.

Rick I have half a tin odd of osmo poly x. Without going down the shed it's either satin or semi matt, one or t'other. Either way it's still pretty shiny. I'm more than happy to send you some in an old spice jar or similar gratis. Osmo do samples if that's helpful.
What sort of finish are you after? Might help those in the know offer advice. The gear I put on my oak floor is good stuff, hard wearing and so on as you'd expect. I've used Tru oil which will probably produce a better result after a lot of work for fine finishes. No expert (obviously) you could also try blo etc most of them appear to be variations on tung oil, varnish etc. Sure someone will be along shortly ;)

(took too long typing lol Phil's already replied)

Thanks for the replies, and offer Bm101 but it's ok on the samples front. I don't mind too much about the finish to be honest, probably anywhere from satin to gloss. I'm interested in trying Osmo as several people have commented that it enhances the wood more than danish, so I'm just looking to have a play around to be honest.

Cheers.

Osmo is a bit better than Danish Oil for tool handles (Danish Oil or varnish are the worst choices IMO), but a straight oil finish is better still. Surprisingly shellac is also a good choice, even if shellac is burnished to a mirror gloss it never feels clammy in the way varnish does.

shellac is my favourite tool handle finish, at least 3 layers depending on the wood, it just feels right somehow to the touch.

LancsRick":2yft5v2s said:
There are a million and one choices! What is best for tool handles please? I often use Danish but would like to give osmo a go.
None of 'em? Between a drying oil, shellac and a standard cheapie polyurethane I think you have everything you could need in finishing options for tool handles, given the varied ways you can apply them.

If you're just after a change of pace you can ring the changes with what you use already by altering the application process. With Danish oil for example you could dilute it further, wipe all the excess off (really get the surface bone dry), sand lightly between coats with fine paper and burnish the final coat with fine steel wool or coarse cloth or brown paper. You'll get even more of an in-the-wood finish than Danish oil is already noted for, something that genuinely looks and feels much like buffed up bare wood but it'll last and won't go grubby easily.

You can achieve much the same result with straight poly heavily thinned, at least 1:1 although you can go much thinner than that if you like. Same again with dilute shellac.

If you want shine then shellac or varnish both have their fans. Shellac will get you there much faster obvs, in one day if need be.

Latest posts

Back