Compact table saw for cutting small blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tablet

Reaction score
Morning,

I am looking for recommendations for a table saw that meets some specific (and potentially unique) requirements.

As part of my job I test panels from the board industry (particle board, MDF etc.) and a lot of these tests mean that samples have to be cut up into small squares, 25mm and occasionally 50mm. The table saw we have is small and moveable but the build quality is not great and kickback is an issue with the size of samples we cut.

Can anyone recommend a small, portable saw that would fit the bill please?

The footprint of our current saw is 700mm x 900mm and the space that it is stored in could only take a slightly larger one.

Thanks in advance

L

If I was to cut a load of 25mm square blocks I think a TS would be my "go to" machine.

maybe all you need is:
a new blade (freud are good)
a properly set up guide for ripping the lengths; this should not extend further than just past where the blade starts
a well set up riving knife
a home made sledge with a stop for cutting the lengths to 25mm/50mm

1,2,&3 will also help minimise kickback

+1 for Lurker. What is your present saw? Picture of the setup? And how big are the starting panels?

For a precision small saw, you might look out for an Inca (secondhand only now).

lurker":1msf0cch said:
If I was to cut a load of 25mm square blocks I think a TS would be my "go to" machine.

maybe all you need is:
a new blade (freud are good)
a properly set up guide for ripping the lengths; this should not extend further than just past where the blade starts
a well set up riving knife
a home made sledge with a stop for cutting the lengths to 25mm/50mm

1,2,&3 will also help minimise kickback

The first two have been done (although I can't remember the brand of saw blade we are using). The riving knife is the biggest issue on our current saw, the design of it means that it can move far too easily as you're cutting.

@ Music Man: The saw we are currently using is a Triton 2000, it's a modular system that uses a circular saw under the table itself. Most boards we cut are only around A4 in size, although occasionally we can have to cut down full sheets.

Sorry but for some reason, my works PC will not allow me to post pictures.

Bodgers":3kivyq0g said:
Budget?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

No there's the million dollar question and the boss is away on holiday right now, so I can't answer. :lol:

Is there something specific you had in mind?

A4 sized sheet is small for a table saw. A bandsaw would be more suitable, and if it's only sheet goods then a bench top model would do it. For full 8x4 sheets either a big (expensive) table saw, or use a track saw to break it down to manageable sized pieces for the bandsaw to process..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Agreed. My Inca would do it nicely and has a small footprint. For new tools, the Benchtop Record tools get good reviews. Is precision/finish of the specimens important? Those are the only reasons I can think of why a table saw would be preferable.

might sound daft, but if you are starting with only A4 size and want 20 - 50mm sided pieces, why not just get a Proxon FET

How big is the sheet BEFORE you cut the squares? If its easily managed by one person then a bandsaw is definitely the way forward.
Rip it into lengths with the normal fence, then use a mitre fence to push the strips through

If its only A4 sheets you are cutting then my go to would be my sliding mitre saw with a suitable blade, just one stop block set to 25mm and multiple cuts at precise positions, surprised no one else has mentioned this as a solution.

Mike

I'd totally avoid a mitre saw for small pieces. Those things are lethal, and holding down small pieces is very difficult. It's also much easier to kick up small pieces with the blade unless you let it come to a stop each time.

I'd agree that a bandsaw with a decent fence is a good option

If budget permits I'd go for a table pull-saw like Festool CS50 (or 70) or Mafell Erica, or I think Makita might do a cheaper one. They are unbeatable for making this kind of small cross-cut reasonably safely, while also capable of ripping down the strips accurately, and shaving edges incrementally to size if you need to.

Latest posts

Back