Cleaning old guitar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a 20year old bass that feels grubby. I think it might have had beeswax polished on in large quantities some years ago. Anyway, does anyone know what the best way to clean it up is?

The bass itself plays great and no real problems, it's just not got a nice feel, which is probably all the dirt and wax.

Any views? Thanks y'all.

Attachments

• IMG_20170828_143029.jpg
    IMG_20170828_143029.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_20170828_143020.jpg
    IMG_20170828_143020.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_20170828_143013.jpg
    IMG_20170828_143013.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 839
I agree with meths and wire wool on the fretboard. Meths with a lint free cloth everywhere else. Thorough clean around pickups and bridge. Replace strings. Lubricate tuners. Wipe your hands before and during playing and wipe strings down after use. When I used to play live a lot (guitar not bass) it was always hot and I was always sweaty!

If meths won't shift some marks, naphtha (lighter fluid) probably will and is safe on most finishes. But try in an inconspicuous place first.

Test out the meths first too - this looks like a small workshop guitar, so it's possible the finish is shellac which meths dissolves.

AJB Temple":1fp7pnda said:
I agree with meths and wire wool on the fretboard. Meths with a lint free cloth everywhere else. Thorough clean around pickups and bridge. Replace strings. Lubricate tuners. Wipe your hands before and during playing and wipe strings down after use. When I used to play live a lot (guitar not bass) it was always hot and I was always sweaty!
Wire wool on the fretboard doesn't sound right?

I watched my luthier fret dress my guitar and he went to great lengths to protect the wood of the fretboard from wire wool by covering it with masking tape.

Lemon oil is good for your fretboard.

Very fine wire wool is fine for cleaning. Fretboards are generally taped when significant finishing, shaping or polishing work is being done on frets. Most high end rosewood or ebony fretboards generally just need a good clean and a very light oiling. Maple boards are usually lacquered and that is a whole different board game (no pun intended) if someone is trying to get an "as new" look. I prefer a board to look played myself. Bass guitars tend to have an easier life than guitars, with less string bending.

I also use an electric polishing mop, but this is probably not something most people have.

Was just about to say that ^

Magnets in the pickups attract any bits that come off the wire wool and it can cause problems.

I've found coconut oil to be too at removing that sticky feel from old wood. It's in most supermarkets too.

Taking the strings off will make cleaning much easier, and a new set of strings will complete the job.

Car polish is good for fret boards and frets, though careful not to get too much black gunk on a maple board as it can stain. Your board is fine though. You'll find quite a bit of gunk along the fret/board junction if the board is dirty, something with a sharp edge (like a guitar pick) is good for getting into the corners. Some players swear by knocking the gloss down on the back of the neck to give it a silky feel and stop that high gloss stickiness.

thick_mike":dbapr4vw said:
I've found coconut oil to be too at removing that sticky feel from old wood. It's in most supermarkets too.

Well worth having a jar of coconut oil in the house. 1001 uses.

Wire Wool is generally out of fashion because of its attraction to pickups - on non amplified Classical & Steel string it wouldn't matter. 3M's abrasive bodyshop pads are the alternative.

For cleaning the board I'd use Naptha (lighter fluid) and use Bore-oil, after - its what some of the larger companies use Taylor for one.

Lemon oil is a mineral oil with scent. Its The 'Old Spice' of luthery. lol

There was a piece by Roger Sadowsky (who's father-in-law was Irving Sloane) who put me off L/O because he said it dries the board out. I'd found that to be true although I liked it. His method (prior to now selling his own branded product) on Rosewood and ebony was Spray on Windex and a toothbrush, as a cleaner.

I'd just wipe the body down with a wet rag with a mild detergent. Naptha for anything else.

Back