Inlay box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevorturn

Established Member
Reaction score
Made this box for my partner for her special birthday
The wood is pod mahogany
It's made from 3 pieces 20mm thick
The kingfisher is inlaid with black and gold mother of pearl and abalone shell

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 196
Thanks took a long time doing the inlay
The parts were cut out on my cnc router then fettled to fit

I was just about to compliment you on your inlay skills, then you went and spoilt it by using the cnc word (lol).
I like the box shape, how did you cut that? Or was it also on the cnc?

CNC no problem to me, its part of modern life know as progress, two thousand years ago they might have used a flint stone to make their gift to their partner.
Nice box by the way, and wish I was 30 years younger to join the new generation.

That's beautiful ! The inlay range of colours look amazing !!!
Smart job.
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the nice comments
I wish I was 30 years younger too (60 now)
All of the box was done the router but you still have to create the code in the first place
It was made from a lid a base and a middle piece which was glued to the base
All hand sanded an finished in lots of coats of sanding sealer

And I also built the router myself with help from a mate with the electronics

My machine is one that I built myself from the alloy profiles bought online

Website called open builds have most of what you need

Thank you.

I wanted it for guitar building templates etc, a lot of youtube builders use one from "Inventables" but it's US based, always keen to see what someone in the UK is using.

I saw some tempting ones from Oozenest, just wondered if it was one of those you had. Building one myself is a bit beyond me!

Robocutters is a uk company he does kits
The x3kit is probably the most popular
Don't use belt drive machines you won't get any accuracy or repeatability
Most have a 3mm pitch belt driven buy a 20 tooth gear wheel 3x20 = 60mm travel per revolution of the stepper motor
As apposed to a 8mm threaded rod of 1.5mm per Rev
Also on the belt drive machines you can move the gantry by Hand which is a real problem when for instance changing a cutter

Mine started life as a belt drive and it would not cut a round circle it always came out oval
So I binned the belt an fitted 8mm stainless threaded rods

I use a 1mm 2 flute carbide slot drill
I run that at around 10000 rpm in my Kress spindle
I typically use a feed speed of 150mm /min

I have found that you don't get chipping if you use 0.9 step down (2passes on 1.5mm thick mop)

I either glue or use a good quality double. Sided tape to hold the mop on of piece of MDF
The MDF is sacrificial as you must cut over depth to avoid creating chiping if you have to break the pieces out of the blank

Always place the mop good side up

Trevorturn":1oqgcji4 said:
I use a 1mm 2 flute carbide slot drill
I run that at around 10000 rpm in my Kress spindle
I typically use a feed speed of 150mm /min

I have found that you don't get chipping if you use 0.9 step down (2passes on 1.5mm thick mop)

I either glue or use a good quality double. Sided tape to hold the mop on of piece of MDF
The MDF is sacrificial as you must cut over depth to avoid creating chiping if you have to break the pieces out of the blank

Always place the mop good side up
Don't suppose you've got a link to the 1mm slot drill you use please ? Do they snap often ? I've always wanted to go smaller, just didn't want to chuck money away by buying garbage.
Thanks
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I buy Good quality carbide ones on eBay ( typically £8 each) from uk sellers these last for ages and end up being better value
Don't buy the cheap Chinese ones they don't hold a cutting edge and will break
Most of them are actually PCB drills not slot drills or end mills and are not designed to take the side loads from mlling
Which is why they have a longer cutter length (and break easily )

Back