What centers for generic swivel head wood lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Hello folks
First time on this section of the forum :)
I just bought a second hand SIP wood lathe, It's a very popular design, as I have seen the same machine with many different badges on it, there is numerous youtube videos on it as it if you look for harbor freight.
The only difference is the thread on the drive is 16TPI from what I can make out, and maybe the motor power.
The basic design has not changed much it seems, apart from updated metal handles, and a RPM display
and an updated tool rest.
Mine has a Morse taper #1 for the drive end, and a MT#2 for the tailstock.

I have been looking for centers for either end on the bay and wondering if these are what I'm after.

I have seen a MT#2 lathe dead center for £4.99 + 69 p&p
file.php

or an even cheaper silver tone one for 3.23 + 35 ...
file.php

Are these suitable for turning dowels, or do I need a revolving center for the job?
I am also looking to get a drive center which I might ask for advise on, once I window shop a bit more.
Back soon
Thanks in advance
Tom

Attachments

• Silver tone center.jpg
    Silver tone center.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Dead center  4.99.jpg
    Dead center 4.99.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,257
You need a drive centre for the headstock. I would suggest a version of the Steve centre. Arc euro trade or chromosome do one (can't remember which
For the tailstock, you need a live centre.

Hi Marcos
I have not been looking for drive centers yet, I've just figured out what morse tapers I needed for each end.
I was going to get a tailstock center ordered first, and then I was going to pester you guys about the drive centers, as there seems
to be more types of those.
I must admit I was looking at different types of drive centers and not looked at that type much.
I only got the machine last week.
I plan on making different sized dowels so, I'm not sure I need only one ?

Back to the tail stock for a moment...
You mentioned I need a live center, I take it that's not a dead center so.
Is that different to a revolving center?
I have used that keyword on my ebay search with similar results.

Reading the description on the one I have shown, it mentions the need for lubrication.
But that might be the case for all ?...what do I know.

Still having a look around
Thanks
Tom

Thanks Phil

Advise heeded, if it needs to be tighter, it makes more of a chance of splitting the wood too
I will be working dry hardwoods like iroko etc.

I still am none the wiser if a live center is the same as a revolving center
Sorry for the basic questions

Tom

Looked up the steb center there in a video
It looks to be possibly a more suitable choice for dry hardwoods.
I might look around for a set for cheap.
Thanks again
Tom

Live centre and revolving centre is the same thing.

For drive centres, if you are going up to a couple of inches, that one I linked to will be ok. I would start with one, if you need a bigger or smaller, buy another at that point.

Great stuff :D
I think I will get a steb center like you linked so Marcus,
and thanks for the confirmation about the live center being the same as a revolving center also.
I can do some more informed window shopping now.
Thanks folks
Tom

Hello again
I've just ordered that crown drive/steb center thanks to you Marcros
I would never have found that only for your help!

So back onto the live/revolving center for the tailstock.
After watching, (and finding it again) a video review on my lathe, the dude mentions the live center
that came with the machine has a lot of play in it.
Is this a frequent occurrence?
I have been looking around for live centers and the one you can buy for Charnwood is rather pricey compared to
the ones I've seen on the bay....

Does anyone have any experience with these ones I have seen on ebay? ...

This one is the cheapest morse taper2 live center at £12.67 (free p&p)
file.php

Or how about this one for £14.26 (free p&p) ...is it a step up, or is it a gamble ?
file.php

Thanks for the advise folks
Tom

Or would this one be any better?

Attachments

• Cheapest live center ebay.jpg
    Cheapest live center ebay.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,201
  • Next cheapest live center.jpg
    Next cheapest live center.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,201
You don't need charnwood. Any brand will do- as long as it is the correct Morse taper.

If you turn small stuff, you may find a large centre gets in the way. For pens, I prefer my small one to the large one, and one day I will get as small a one as I can. For general stuff, the larger one is fine. You won't go far wrong with one from Axminster or any of the other suppliers.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-st ... re-ax21297

For the crown centre, just make sure that they know it is 1mt that you need- drop them an email. I can't tell from the website what size the "add to basket" option is. They also do a live centre version, which you could get whilst paying the postage.

Or push the boat out ...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-mu ... s-ax21286#

I have one of these and it is handy to be able to swap the size and shape of the centre for turning different items but that being said it was way after learning to use the lathe with a single revolving centre like those mentioned above that I even thought about using a different size or shape to make life easier.

Hello again

Marcros, The crown drive only specifies available in 1 MT,
Which is what I have.
The crown live center they supply is also 1 MT so I will need something else.
I think I might just take a gamble on the cheap one on the bay.
I have seen double bearing and triple bearing types, so I just thought I'd post these cheap ones to see if
they were to be avoided at all costs kinda thing.
Can't be any worse than the original, judging from a video I have seen.

Nev, looks to be a bit expensive for me yet, as I only bought this machine for future use.
I jumped on one for an OK price which was localish aswell.
I plan on getting used to this at a very leisurely pace, and watching some youtube videos to get more of an idea
on the use of the machine.
Its probably dowels that I will be making for the next while...

By the sounds of things, I'll be able to get by with a basic one for the next good while.
Besides, I really do need to get some other things for my workshop that's way more of a priority at this stage since I cant
move in the workshop with all the timber I need to process.
Thanks for your help guys
Tom

If I were you, the first purchase you show make is Keith rowley's book on beginning Woodturning. It is the most recommended book and will help you understand how to go about turning, what you need in terms of basic kit and some golden rules to avoid learning the 'hard way'

Back