Car boot saw - July 2017

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Pickings have been thin of late, but today I found something. It was brown and sad looking, but the plate was straight and the handle fancy enough to indicate a quality saw.

The "brown" was some kind of ages old wiped on grease, and came off easily with white spirit on denim (a usefully harsh cloth). The teeth are 10 TPI, and rather symmetrical - almost "peg teeth". I will resharpen to make it a little more aggressive; I can see this becoming a favourite cross-cut- to-length saw. The saw plate is 14" long, and the plate 3" deep below the heavy brass back.

Strangely, there is no brand marking I can find, either stamped on the back or etched in the plate; just an owner's name scratched in - WJH.

saw.jpg

Well worth the quid the seller was asking. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BugBear

Attachments

• saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 1,023
Did well for £1! Was the brown crud equally over everything, blade, back and handle?

I take a well-shaped handle as a good sign that under the rust/grime is something quite nice, but I wonder if this is as reliable a guide as we'd like it to be. Similarly with some blade features; I got a shorter crosscut panel saw at last month's local car boot on the strength of its well-shaped blade (skew back, round heel) even though the handle was clearly late. And at least it wasn't riveted, he said to himself.

But the handle fixings lied that they were screws, had to find out the hard way they were rivets after all with mock screw slots. Was not a happy bunny.

Under the Holtzappfel description system, that would be a 'sash saw' - not as big as a full-sized tenon saw, but similar uses. One good thing about saws of that size is that their weight ensures that they cut pretty much by themselves; all the user has to do is get it started in the cut, then move it back and forth and keep to the line.

For a quid, that's a REALLY good find!

ED65":3bi64d19 said:
Did well for £1! Was the brown crud equally over everything, blade, back and handle?

Just blade and back. He obviously didn't want the brass to rust...

BugBear

Back