Handle Fixing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
I want to use a large old brass door key as a lifting handle on top of box to lift the lid off. Needs to be edge on, so only the bottom of round end and bottom of the lock turner on the lid. I thought about slightly inseting but it needs to be a strong 'fixer - fixative. Dont really want to use wire to help as it would spoil the effect. Lid to about 11" x 7" x 1". Any ideas would be appreciate.
Malcolm

Alexam":227wqbzl said:
I want to use a large old brass door key as a lifting handle on top of box to lift the lid off. Needs to be edge on, so only the bottom of round end and bottom of the lock turner on the lid. I thought about slightly inseting but it needs to be a strong 'fixer - fixative. Dont really want to use wire to help as it would spoil the effect. Lid to about 11" x 7" x 1". Any ideas would be appreciate.
Malcolm

Get your local garage to braze some threading on.

BugBear

Drill and tap some 3 mm threaded holes into it and bolt it from underneath. Use slotted screw head brass bolts and washers and make them a feature.
I think inset into the wood would not look so good.

Malcolm, its brass. Solder it to a brass plate and use four screws just like a name plate.
If its a really personalised box you can have the name engraved on it as well.

Out of interest what's the reasoning behind having it set vertically? Until you mentioned that my first thought was a slip of leather inside the round bit fed through a small slot in the lid and fixed underside; glue or small brass pins.

Then you simply lift the key and lid. Seems far simpler if the key is the feature.

what he means is cut a slot through the key section, then tie it down through the ring loop and the key slot.
make a lay flat briefcase handle.

sunnybob":7s0qpqo1 said:
what he means is cut a slot through the key section, then tie it down through the ring loop and the key slot.
make a lay flat briefcase handle.

Ahhhh, I see now, a possibility . Thanks Bob

Back