Tormek t4 or t8?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
I'm considering buying a tormek, but which one to get? Do any members have reason or experience to suggest that I mneed the bigger one, it's just for chisels plane irons and wood turning tools.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome

Thanks

Are you set on needing a tormek? Would a slow speed grinder, CBN wheel and tormek jigs be worth considering?

If you are set, got for the bigger one!

If money is no object then I agree with Simon and opt for the larger. Motor more industrial strength and wider wheels easier to use. However the T4 is now a pretty good machine for hobby use and shouldn't be discounted if budget is of greater concern. It got a substantial upgrade over the T3 and is now much improved.

Sharpening turning tools such as Bowl Gouges won't sit well with your Plane Irons and straight edge tools.
The small contact area of the small diameter tools can rapidly groove a standard soft wheel and you may need to dress the surface flat again before using it for plane irons.

I might be selling my almost new T7 although carriage could be an issue.

I'm away until the end of July so can't be certain until I get back

Bob

FWIW I sold my tormek and bought the Rutlands version of a T7(I think). Cracking bit of kit for the money, I have been very pleased with it.

I am pretty sure the t4 doesnt come with certain jigs such as the truing tool ect. When u put these in the costs might as well go t7 or t8 (or even a second hand unit)

Also, hate to throw a spanner in the works at this late stage but you really should consider a Sorby Pro-Edge too. I've had a T7 for nearly 10 years now and don't get me wrong, it's got its uses for very fine sharpening. But its bloody useless when it comes to removing metal fast (as are all the water grinders because they're too slow with too unabrasive wheels). The PE solves that problem in spades with the more aggressive belts and yet still delivers ultra fine chisels and plane blades using the Trizact technology from 3M. The setup time is also considerably faster than the Tormek range because the angle settings are baked into the platform saving a lot of time and money on jigs. Since I bought my PE about 3 years ago I hardly ever use the Tormek any more. The only alternative to fast steel removal is a CBN wheel which are brilliant but also a bit pricey.

What Bob said
The Tormek does put a razor sharp edge on good steel and the pro-edge is useless for carving chisels which is why I haven't decided whether or not to sell mine

Lons":14qf9lcw said:
What Bob said
The Tormek does put a razor sharp edge on good steel and the pro-edge is useless for carving chisels which is why I haven't decided whether or not to sell mine

Lons, just curiosity, is this because of physical access at a convenient angle to hone the edge on the PE or that the fine Trizac aren't suitable for sharpening prior to paste honing.

Hey Chas

It's just that carving chisels are usually quite thin and even the pro-edge could overheat the steel whereas it's virtually impossible to do so with the Tormek. Additionally the leather wheel and profile wheels if you have them make honing and polishing a doddle.

You can certainly get a keen edge with the Trizac and I found the angles easy to achieve just didn't like it.
Personal preference so I guess I maybe shouldn't have said "useless".

Beside the Tormek, are any of these alternative's able to sharpen planner blades?

Mike

Lons":mf66rsx7 said:
Hey Chas

It's just that carving chisels are usually quite thin and even the pro-edge could overheat the steel whereas it's virtually impossible to do so with the Tormek. Additionally the leather wheel and profile wheels if you have them make honing and polishing a doddle.

With you on the fine edge and Heat, the PE does need an operator dexterity component with fine Knife edges to avoid excess heat.

Always a something that gets in the way of a one solution answer, so easy to end up with more sharpening solutions than machine tools, reviewed mine with a view to getting rid of surplus a couple of weeks ago and concluded I would loose ease of use or rapid access if stuff ditched.
( Currently 3 bench grinders with 5 different wheels, PE and various belts, Lathe mounted Profiled Honing and buffing wheels)

I have a T4 and managed to get it with the SE-77 (latest square edge jig with camber ability) for around £260 from G&S. for my uses it has served its purpose however I am not a huge fan of the Tormek grinders but wanted an silly person proof way of grinding a primary bevel. For this the Tormek excels, albeit slowly.

I didn't want to spend huge amounts but if I had the money at the time then the larger T8 would have been preferable.

Hi. Both machines are great. Trouble is the T4 comes as a basic machine. You have to buy the chisel holder, truing device etc... Buy the time you do that you're not far off the cost of the T8 which comes with all those mentioned jigs.

Latest posts

Back