Record plough plane cutters.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swb58

Established Member
Reaction score
I happened upon a pack of these today but with a total of 11 I assumed that it wasn't a proper set.
Now I see that some have four grooves for adjusting and most of them have seven grooves.

Any idea what the seven groove ones for?

Cheers.

They probably come from a Record 044 plane, which had an adjuster mechanism with a large round nut which fits into the groove. Maybe some are from a Stanley 50, which I think used a similar arrangement.

Of course, they can be used in other planes and adjusted with little hammer taps. There is plenty of scope for using one plane's cutters in another, with varying degrees of modification.

Thanks for the reply.
Hope the image shows the difference. The groove spacings aren't the same so I don't think they will be interchangeable between planes with that feature. All cutters are stamped Record.
I'd like to find out which plane the seven groove cutters are for as there are (by coincidence) seven of them.
Thanks.

Edit. Just been looking at pictures of the 044 and understand how the adjustment screw works. Doesn't seem to matter how many grooves there are, they are all the same width.
Note to self . . . Keep an eye out for a cheap plane with no cutters. :)

Attachments

• image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 703
The adjuster only sits in one groove. You select whichever one is most convenient. So the distance between grooves is irrelevant.
Some of yours with only four grooves look irregularly spaced, so may already have been adapted by a previous owner.

Back