Removing Bark

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Waney edge piece of cedar of lebanon
it has been cut and air dried over 10 yrs
I want to keep the waney but remove bark

any easy method with normal workshop tools?
I dont have a suitable angle grinder blade which I suspect may have been the easy route
Steve

Chisel, knife, wire brush, depending on how firmly it's attached.

Pete

Yes, barking spud with tuna and mayo!

Pete

no no no Pete! barking spud with chilli and grated cheese :tongue9:

I'm struggling to remove bark from a beech bowl I've turned - it's really well attached, some is complex (folds into the wood) and I don't want to damage the point where the bark meets the surface. The tree was cut in winter, and apparently that makes it harder to remove. I've tried the methods suggested above but am afraid I'm going to spoil the edge of the bowl.
_MG_8266.jpg

Reading around the web I see some people use a pressure washer to get the bark off. I can work from the underside, so any marks made by the washer won't be critical/ can be sanded away.
Any thoughts on using a pressure washer this way?

(Question asked in the Turning section but no answers so far!)

Thanks, C

Attachments

• _MG_8266.jpg
    _MG_8266.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 92
I would try with a brass wire brush in a drill first. Secondly, let it dry a bit and see if it drops off. If I recall from the other thread, it is quite green at the moment.

Dremel with a burr?
Small blowtorch then wire brush?
Haven't tried either of these in this sort of situation so can't say for sure they'll do the job, just food for thought.

Small knife/chisel/gouge and take your time.

Pete

Thanks fellas. I decided to go ahead with a sharp chisel, Parkside version of Dremel with brass brush and finish with sandpaper.
_MG_8269.jpg

There's still some of the bark left on parts of the larger surface but it's hardly there and hopefully will brush off as it dries. As for the complex, folded bit - that's quite thin and I think I'd make a terrible mess trying to remove it, and it seems to be doing no harm where it is.
There's still a fair bit of work to do on the bowl, I'll post in the turning section once it's done (if you can stand the suspense). :)

Attachments

• _MG_8269.jpg
    _MG_8269.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Back