car boot 28th may 2017

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
So after a rubbish week i needed some retail therapy, so I hit the overcast fields of somerset and cheered my self up!

as always never fails to amaze me what people have got lurking in the spare rooms and sheds

to start with a lovely pair of 20"dividers would have been rude to say no for 50p, some nice big britool whitworth spanners perfect for my wadkin stuff.
a cool machine cog and some lifting bits.

usual 50p odds and sods including some pretty rusty snap on bits, get these cleaned up and some new mechanisms and they will be great!

even came with a snap on deep 15/16 socket

swapped my normal size labrador for a miniature one, you can see her sitting next to the normal size screwdriver!! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

a 3/4" drive torque wrench this is missing a few bits but for a tenner i didnt mind, and a an adze always wanted one of theses and was walking around the garden adzeing things and the handle snapped! :( :(

but i can use the old as a template for a new stronger one.

last but not least a Villiers Midget engine

adidat

This sums up why I never visit bootsales anymore = you buy too much junk you will never use and it will take up valuable space.
I used to come back with My Own car's boot full of stuff I bought in bootsales at times because everything looked so good :D

MrDavidRoberts":3bb3fkll said:
This sums up why I never visit bootsales anymore = you buy too much junk you will never use and it will take up valuable space.
I used to come back with My Own car's boot full of stuff I bought in bootsales at times because everything looked so good :D

To be fair I do sometimes wonder why I buy what I do, but most of that stuff will come in use one day. The motor was a fiver and that should bring 50 quid on eBay and hopefully a similar amount for the torque wrench. And that's all going in the pot for replacing my tools that got stolen this week. Also I like little curioues that i can put up in the workshop to display.

Adidat

when I had one nearby I used to go to it as well to hunt for items I can resell, good brand designer clothes sold for nothing...
4years later I still wear some Clarks shoes I bought for 50p brand new, got my first guitar there for a pound, got a pressure washer for 2pounds,
Once bought a coat for 4pounds which I sold on ebay for £280.
All our books are from there as well.

yeah let's just say I used to bring back bags&bags of stuff every week...
At least some of the stuff gets recycled this way and just doesn't ends up somewhere in landfill, because the next stop for all the car-boot sellers is local Tip :D

adidat":xjylpws7 said:
To be fair I do sometimes wonder why I buy what I do, but most of that stuff will come in use one day.
Adidat

I always thought that way - it's like buying retail when there is a substantial saving for buying bulk - of course I'll have fifty metres when I only need thirty if the price is right. Then you end up in a much smaller property with nowhere to put it. It's a difficult habit to break. :D

My wife likes them purely because its cheap retail therapy, I just recently cleaned out my daughters wendy house which has been used for overflow items and the amount of lamps and vases was unreal. I am very strict when looking for tools, I don't need any more brass backed tennon saws but I always lookout for g clamps. I got a full brittool socket set for £3 which is perfect for wadkin lumps

Add up the petrol, admission fees, and useless tat you buy for no other reason than you don't want to return empty handed and I'd be fairly sure Ebay works out cheaper and quicker than boot sales. If its tools you're after.

I've noticed too that most boot sales these days have maybe a dozen middle aged blokes haversack on their backs sprinting from one stall to another desperately looking for rare tools. Bragging rights for these 10p tools doesn't appear to come cheap.

But, still, boot sales are fun every now and then. So long as you can relax and not consider it a wasted day if you find nothing you want to buy. And I do like looking at other peoples finds on the forum.

I love a car boot, the missus isn't that bothered but comes along with me for company and for the exercise, every now and again she find something nice.
I don't buy a lot to be fair, I am very picky and fussy about what I buy, it has to be a good price and it has to be something I want or something I can sell on. We are lucky, we have a nice car boot just a 5 minute drive from us on a sunday morning, it's held near a nice park so we go, take a look around, pick up the odd item and then have a stroll around the park. It's a good way to start the day and a good excuse not to be lazy.

Dick I wonder if Villiers ever made small engines to put on bicycles, I've had loads from lawn mowers. I used to try and beat the guy with the ruck sack or granny shopping trolley who goes round first thing getting the good quality stuff only to put it on his own stall at 4 times the price but now I am more chilled.

Back