New Jet Drill Press - is this a fault?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaminal

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a question for owners of drill presses...

I recently bought a new drill press from Axminster, a Jet JDP-17. There is quite a bit of play back and forth as the bit rotates, I don't have a micrometer I can measure this accurately with, but I took a few videos to show the deflection (I fitted my Veritas marking gauge as it's the most precise bit of steel bar I have available) and it looks to be around half a millimeter.

I contacted Axminster and they said this was within tolerance, but it's definitely not what I expected... so could someone take a look and let me know whether that is the expected tolerance for a woodworking drill? or do i have a problem?

There are two youtube linnks below, and a few photos attached.

Many Thanks,
Chris

https://youtu.be/YkGFMuOU90M

https://youtu.be/lgTm9B8qWEk

Attachments

• deflection eg.gif
    deflection eg.gif
    185.3 KB · Views: 337
Sorry I can't help you specifically but I remember a big selling point with​ jet used to be guaranteed minimum levels of play and it was significantly less than the Axminster drill I could afford at the time.
I think 0.5mm is too much myself. Trying to drill a 3mm hole and it coming out 3.5 to 4mm is not acceptable imo on a premium drill. You could not tap a good thread with a hole that much out.
If this is how jet drills are now made then they have significantly gone down hill in my estimation.

,-Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Is the play loose IE the chuck wobbles from side to side. Or is the Chuck firm but it describes an oval or bigger circle?
Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi all, thanks for the responses, and apologies for the delay in responding

The drill is brand new, and upon seeing the eccentricity I contacted Axminster, who sent me a new arbor and chuck. I ensured it was clean and fitted the replacement parts, but the movement is still there.

The chuck is quite firm, so it's not a 'wobble' as such - the movement describes an oval, extending out at the same point on each rotation.

Chris

There are so many variables, including, drill bit (grind and eccentricity), drill placement in the chuck, chuck and quill that it is hard to judge. Have you tried different drills and resets? To my mind 0.5mm of variance is "miles off" and unacceptable. My drill press is an ancient Fobco Star and it has no measurable deflection with the tools I have as long as I rotate the drill in the chuck as I tighten it.

Hello,

Is using a Veritas marking gauge accurate enough to prove anything? Have you not got a Forstner bit to try the same test with? Your test can only be as accurate as your testing apparatus, and I don't believe it is.

Mike

anaminal":lqoaoj0h said:
I have a question for owners of drill presses...

I recently bought a new drill press from Axminster, a Jet JDP-17. There is quite a bit of play back and forth as the bit rotates, I don't have a micrometer I can measure this accurately with, but I took a few videos to show the deflection (I fitted my Veritas marking gauge as it's the most precise bit of steel bar I have available) and it looks to be around half a millimeter.

I contacted Axminster and they said this was within tolerance, but it's definitely not what I expected... so could someone take a look and let me know whether that is the expected tolerance for a woodworking drill? or do i have a problem?

There are two youtube linnks below, and a few photos attached.

Many Thanks,
Chris

https://youtu.be/YkGFMuOU90M

https://youtu.be/lgTm9B8qWEk

Acceptable on a £200 drill press. For a drill press costing £1000 I would say that was totally unacceptable.

Assuming everything else is straight that is way too much runout. You really need to put a dial indicator on the MT and has already been said check there is no muck or swarf in the taper. I don't know what the spec is (I'd ask Axminster what the tolerance is) but I would expect only a few thou on a new machine max. (1/2mm is roughly 20thou). My old Startrite Mercury has nothing like that maybe 2 thou max.

Could also be the chuck as these can be the culprit (even Jacobs ones)

woodbrains":1yjy1v1d said:
Hello,

Is using a Veritas marking gauge accurate enough to prove anything? Have you not got a Forstner bit to try the same test with? Your test can only be as accurate as your testing apparatus, and I don't believe it is.

Mike

Woodbrains, you were quite right - I bought a brand new 10mm forstner bit and this gave a much better result. Looks like my previous tests were introducing the wobble due to not being perfectly straight. thanks all for your input and advice!

Chris

Latest posts

Back