Bobbin sander 370W induction? vs 450W Noise difference ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davej.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello , just registered to try and find out the noise difference between triton 370w induction motor bobbin sander and the newer, cheaper 450w version.
I am concerned about noise levels and would prefer induction motor version but many other models seem to more than triple in price for this option.
Also older links to 25kg+ sanders now seem to go to newer 13kg versions !
The triton induction is still available ~£160, I think, whereas the 450W is ~£120.

Can anyone comment on the noise difference of these or clone versions ?
I have not been able to find anything on the web.

I cannot comment on the difference between the 370w and 450w versions.
However I do have the Rutlands (Dakota?) version Bobbin Sander which I believe is a clone of the Triton.
It's a reasonable tool for the money, but considering it has an induction motor it isn't quiet in use.

Well that's not what I expected !! But thanks for input.
I don't want to upset neighbours and my workshop is 50yds behind the houses,
I just wanted to avoid the screech from belt sanders. My new induction motor disc sander is very quiet tho' not used really as still rebuilding the workshop roof.
davej.

I understand the Dakota version (like the clones including the 450W Triton) is a universal brush motor not induction. I may be wrong on this but the info I found when I looked at spindle sanders a while back suggested it was.

To note I also think the Triton TSPS370 may actually be 350W but is definitely an induction driven device.

Given the two choices the induction 350W will be a lot quieter and more durable over the longer term.

I have a record BBS1 bobbin sander. To all intents and purposes its silent untill you stick a bit of wood into the bobbin. A typical electric motor whine and a kind of low grumble from the oscilating mechanism, but it cant be heard from 20 foot away.

Just to come back in on this....
I will apologise, as I was under the impression the Rutlands version I had was fitted with an induction motor:
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... nds+dk2079

However it seems that induction motor is not mentioned in the advertisement or the instructions that I have just been down the shed to find and read through.
They do use the words "ultra quiet, high torque motor"..... but the machine is not quiet!
So it looks as if it is a brush motor, and the instructions give sound output as 91db. :shock:

From the record spec sheet, the BBS1 bench top has
Sound power level < 80.1 dB (A)
Sound pressure level < 69.6 dB (A)

What the difference is between pressure level and power level I dont know.
On the decibel chart, your 91 is equivalent to a deisel truck idling at 10 metres.

This chart shows different levels, but I have to admit I dont find mine to be noisy in any way shape or form.

https://www.google.com.cy/url?sa=i&rct= ... 5539864179

Pressure gives you the effective volume at a given distance. Power refers to the amount of sound energy it throws out overall.

Thanks all - now this makes more sense to me. The triton is 350w I believe but the trade off for quieter operation seems worth it to me.
The question is - do I get new induction triton while available or other used / older induction models ??
regards davej.

Dave, really, its irrelevant. You wont have the sander running unless you are working, and the noise of the sanding is louder than the motor.
The loudest sound in my workshop (now I have the dust extraction in a sound deadening cabinet, is the wood being cut, sanded sawn, whatever.

Back