Help! Where to get new belt for a Scheppach DMT 450 lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenteire2009

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help me with my quest! I bought an older Scheppach DMT450 lathe a couple of years ago, which had a worn belt when I purchased it but worked ok. Now the belt has deteriorated and needs to be replaced but I am unsure of where to buy the correct belt. As far as I can make out the belt is a "Poly V" belt 3 rib, PJ630- 630mm long, approx. 7mm wide, approx. 4mm thick. I've tried my local motor factors and engineering supplier without success. Internet searches are throwing up conflicting information. Is this an oddball size/ is it still available. Any info on UK suppliers who could help me would be much appreciated. I really thought it would be a simple matter of ordering a PJ 630 belt, but not so it seems.

Thank you for your replies- I already tried both those specific sites. If nothing else suits I may order from Snaintons but it does seem exorbitant for a simple (and very small belt) and delivery to me in Ireland won't be cheap I'm sure. I looked at that belt from marksman but the suggested width looks to be incorrect (even going by the pitch they quote), the belt I need is approx. 7mm wide overall- I might send them an email to confirm. I've only ever bought from ebay on one ocassion and that was a disaster! Thanks for your help I'll get something to suit hopefully.

carpenteire2009":17enousk said:
I looked at that belt from marksman but the suggested width looks to be incorrect (even going by the pitch they quote), the belt I need is approx. 7mm wide overall- I might send them an email to confirm.
The Marksman site is quite confusing - they show a profile with 3 ribs and indicate a pitch of 2.34mm which implies a 'width' of 7.02mm - yet they say the width is 11.7 mm, which implies a profile of 5 ribs.

I would ask them to confirm the profile as 3 or 5 ribs and if 5 if it would be possible to trim 2 ribs, thus making the belt about 7mm wide.

Thanks J-G, that's exactly what I was thinking- if there's a typo in the description the belt may be suitable. I got an email back from another power tool spares supplier who wanted to charge me a massive £28 for this part- way too much for this! I'll follow up with an email to marksman. Thanks again.

J-G":qbr4ejpc said:
The Marksman site is quite confusing - they show a profile with 3 ribs and indicate a pitch of 2.34mm which implies a 'width' of 7.02mm - yet they say the width is 11.7 mm, which implies a profile of 5 ribs....

Suspect the author of the description multiplied the thickness not the rib width.

Poly V's are cut from a continuous tube construct so can be of various rib widths for the same diameter.

If you look at the PJ 610 on that source you will see the norm is 4 ribs but you can select various other widths. (fits a SIP 14" Bandsaw)

A warning be very careful if ever ordering from an American source, A Gates 630 will be 630 INCHES not MM.
A Gates 610 is 610 Inches (1549mm)
20170524_102644.jpg

Attachments

• 20170524_102644.jpg
    20170524_102644.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,050
CHJ":2y92wi9f said:
J-G":2y92wi9f said:
The Marksman site is quite confusing - they show a profile with 3 ribs and indicate a pitch of 2.34mm which implies a 'width' of 7.02mm - yet they say the width is 11.7 mm, which implies a profile of 5 ribs...
Suspect the author of the description multiplied the thickness not the rib width.
I did actually check that possibility CHJ but 3 * 3.8 = 11.4 whereas 5 * 2.34 is 11.7 so you can't give him that 'benefit of the doubt' :)
Poly V's are cut from a continuous tube construct so can be of various rib widths for the same diameter.
That makes sense.
A warning be very careful if ever ordering from an American source, A Gates 630 will be 630 INCHES not MM.
A Gates 610 is 610 Inches (1549mm)
At least the left-pondians have brought their 'inch' up-to-date - well they did in 1959 - prior to that their 610" would have only been about 609¾" UK. They still don't like 'metric' really and have never adopted the 'A0' derived Paper sizes.

Success at last- Marksman are going to cut the 5 rib belt down for me, which will be perfect. Incidentally the image used on the website is causing the confusion, it is clearly 3 rib but the product designation is PJ630/5, the 5 being five ribs so all the dimensions are correct.

I'll hopefully have the belts in a few days (I ordered 2, just in case!) and I'll let you know how I get on.

In relation to motor factors, my local one (normally very good) didn't have one and even called two of their suppliers who couldn't help either.

Thanks for all the help, it'll be great to have my machine up and running well again.

Update on my lathe, the belts finally arrived today and with a little bit of guntering with my homemade "press" (threaded rod, nuts washers and the largest sockets I could find) I managed to get it all reassembled. The new belt is a huge improvement- all speeds are now available and no beltslip. I put the headstock mandrel (with one one bearing already pressed on) into the freezer overnight to assist with pressing it into place- worked like a charm. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• DSCF2303.JPG
    DSCF2303.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 910

Latest posts

Back