The kitchen is finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, finished except for two side panels, but Lynndy has given me time off to build a piece of furniture :)

This post is to conclude what I started, for those interested in kitchen builds ... and, I guess, woodwork. The earlier posts I made - about building Shaker-style doors, and hand finishing them in water-based poly - are on my website for reference: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ ... build.html

The original kitchen was 25 years old and tired. Even more tired was the fidge-freezer, which we bought 35 years ago. It needed to be replaced. The new fridge was wider and a touch taller than the old. The problem was that the alcove into which it was built had a cabinet above, and changing this cabinet meant changing the door … and it would not be possible to match the Tasmanian Oak to blend in with all the other cabinet doors and drawers.

So we needed new cabinet doors and drawer fronts … and then it became a new countertop in granite … and then a more modern range hood ... and the gas hob would be replaced with a fancy-shmancy ceramic electric one that Lynndy has been eyeing for a long time.

Lynndy wanted modern and light. And so the cabinet design would be Shaker and in Hard Maple (from the USA - my local wood salvage supplier had just received a large shipment).

I think that Lynndy planned this all along.

The old kitchen ...

Kitchen1_zpsag6qcrxs.jpg

With tiles stripped and a few cabinets removed ...

Kitchen2_zpsuv9m1nsa.jpg

The countertop was replaced with granite ...

1a_zpsqkram9gk.jpg

Yes, bar stools are on my build bucket list :)

10a_zpsv4h0ka7r.jpg

The backsplash is now a light green glass. And the new range hood ...

9a_zpskpbpw9vx.jpg

Some of the drawers ...

5a_zpsfhouxqov.jpg

... and doors ...

6a_zpseez9hekw.jpg

The new (bloody ... mutter .. mutter ..) fridge ...

2a_zpsmvemk1im.jpg

LED lighting fitted under one cabinet ...

7a_zpswykffqwx.jpg

A few doors close up ...

Over-Microwave_zpsnbe74xjc.jpg

Overhead-door_zpswgl7xy2e.jpg

Last picture ...

3a_zpsizouhhpv.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Good job just one niggle-you have done loads of work and spent some good $$$... but... you have cheaped out on few things which brings the overall look really down and makes it look ''cheap'' and not really - ''modern and light''

MrDavidRoberts":33ww7325 said:
Good job just one niggle-you have done loads of work and spent some good $$$... but... you have cheaped out on few things which brings the overall look really down and makes it look ''cheap'' and not really - ''modern and light''

I disagree and even I did think it looked "cheap" I don't think a public forum is a place to be so insulting of what I think is excellent work. I would like to see your non cheap kitchen to compare.

transatlantic":mcp1fzxt said:
Great job. I'd love an open plan house like that, I think they're awesome.

I hate the idea of an open plan house. I don't want my soft furnishings stinking of garlic and chip fat.

whiskywill":3ro31uk2 said:
transatlantic":3ro31uk2 said:
Great job. I'd love an open plan house like that, I think they're awesome.

I hate the idea of an open plan house. I don't want my soft furnishings stinking of garlic and chip fat.

I guess it depends on the size of the house, but I don't think a lot of people close the door to the kitchen when cooking, so it can;t be that different.

I'd kill for cushions that tasted [anosmic] of garlic and chips!
You've definitely got lighter and it gives an effective contrast against the granite [which is also very nice], I like the false bottom enclosing the gubbins of the led lights.
I noticed you have a wine rack, is that for the fighting wine?

whiskywill":rx4z91pl said:
MrDavidRoberts":rx4z91pl said:

I disagree and even I did think it looked "cheap" I don't think a public forum is a place to be so insulting of what I think is excellent work. I would like to see your non cheap kitchen to compare.

MrDavidRoberts gets off on not liking things, so no surprise there. :D

MrDavidRoberts":2dmahubf said:

This chaps hobby is slagging things off, just ignore him.
Nice job.

phil.p":o812viai said:
whiskywill":o812viai said:
MrDavidRoberts":o812viai said:

MrDavidRoberts gets off on not liking things, so no surprise there. :D

My problem really is that I'm a honest man and I say what I think without telling porkies and beating around the bush...
It has landed me in trouble more than once by just telling the truth, Let's just say I hate people who say one thing to your face and than go around your back telling/doing something completely different... ain't me...
If I can clearly see something is off I will tell straight away instead of telling you how good the stuff is when I know that it isn't the case.
I'm not afraid to Criticise something/someone as I appreciate if someone does the same to me so I can improve myself in future and do a better job.

In this case the OP has done a good job, however there's just some stuff.....

Cheers.

What you think is, by definition, subjective, hence the usual polite approach 'In my humble opinion' or similar. It shows that you accept that other's views may differ, while being equally as valid as yours. Personal opinions or preferences are not a universal truth.
It's to your credit that you are accepting of criticism and would like to improve.

Please do tell. I do not know what you see that looks cheap.

Regards from Perth

Derek

phil.p":jt448sms said:
I suspect if your loved one cooks she'll regret changing the hob from gas.

She is quite a serious cook (no fry ups, I'm afraid). She says that the new hob is amazing and in a different class to the gas (which we have used for decades). The new hob gets to temperature immediately (I don't understand that, myself) and that it can vary temperature with greater accuracy. She finds it much easier to use, more precise in its function, and I doubt that she will return to gas.

Regards from Perth

Derek

MrDavidRoberts":2hz7ngu1 said:
My problem really is that I'm a honest man and I say what I think without telling porkies and beating around the bush...
It has landed me in trouble more than once by just telling the truth, Let's just say I hate people who say one thing to your face and than go around your back telling/doing something completely different... ain't me...
If I can clearly see something is off I will tell straight away instead of telling you how good the stuff is when I know that it isn't the case.
I'm not afraid to Criticise something/someone as I appreciate if someone does the same to me so I can improve myself in future and do a better job.

Cheers.

I completely disagree, you seem to deliberately belittle people? You don't listen to replies, you start derogatory posts (your charity post was cringeworthy) and ignore any advice given. If you think that makes you a better man then you are deluded.

Great work mate, one day Id like to have a go at ours and believe me it needs it......infact your old kitchen looks better than ours hehe

phil.p":2aul5ezl said:
I suspect if your loved one cooks she'll regret changing the hob from gas.

She is quite a serious cook (no fry ups, I'm afraid). She says that the new hob is amazing and in a different class to the gas (which we have used for decades). The new hob gets to temperature immediately (I don't understand that, myself) and that it can vary temperature with greater accuracy. She finds it much easier to use, more precise in its function, and I doubt that she will return to gas.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Good. :D I'm probably thinking back to halogen hobs -which I wouldn't give a thank you for. I have an induction hob, and that is so accurate, quick (water for a mug of tea takes 55 seconds) and easy to clean that I'd be reluctant to go back to gas.

MrDavidRoberts":1kba2053 said:

I'm curious, in your opinion what things did he cheap out on?

I like it. Very elegant and stylish. I like the relative thinness of the styles and rails which gives the doors a sort of lightness. Very well executed I must say. I was wondering though; why is the bottom drawer of different construction (frame and panel) to the others? Is that purely aesthetic or does it have another purpose?

Back