Circular Saw advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YonathanZ

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not from the UK but I can buy most stuff on Amazon UK and DE (and the other European versions). In my country we also use 230V so stuff from the UK works fine.

So I'm looking for two things in a c.saw:

1. Great dust collection
2. Ability to re-adjust the 0 bevel point, in case it gets skewed for whatever reason.

So I had a few models in mind:

Metabo KS 55 FS - has no. 2, but not exactly no. 1 based on what I've seen on videos.
Also has a die cast aluminum base, which is nice.

Bosch GKS 190 - seems to have good dust collection and also a bevel re-adjust screw. Only issue with it is the cheap stamped steel base - dunno if this matters though.

Makita HS7601/J2 - seems to have good dust collection as far as I can tell on videos, but no idea if it has no. 2. Has a stamped aluminum base, but it looks beefy enough.

I'd appreciate your opinion!

Thanks.

What is your budget?

What are you going to be cutting?

No off the shelf table saws or circular saws are great on dust collection, I modified my TS250-2 and its now the best dust free table saw I have ever used, or seen, have a look here: axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html you would have to do a lot of experimenting with different collection options to make a circular saw as efficient.

Mike

Although I'm not personally familiar with the circular saws you mentioned, I can pretty much guarantee the dust collection will not be very efficient - there are just too many gaps for dust to escape through with that style of saw.

Last week I bought a cordless 18v Makita circular saw (DHS680) and despite the dust collection being better than some of my other circular saws, it's still not great.

For effective dust collection you really do need to spend a lot more on a track saw as the blades are fully enclosed, or work outside ;)

I think I'll just use my silverline saw and convert it into a simple table saw. Then all the dust would be right underneath the table, right?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Look at any decent table saw and you will see a crown guard with a dust pick up point to attempt taking the dust away from the top of the table, most of them don't work and the table gets covered in dust anyway.

Mike

A bit more than you were planning to spend, the Festool TS55 has very good dust collection out of the box

Yes, I've heard of Festool and it does seem to have some really nice engineering, but I'm a super casual DIYer, I haven't built anything before so a Festool really isn't an option.
I think I'll build a table saw just for the fun of it. How can I protect its motor from the dust that falls, though, since it's mounted upside down?

Back