Storing rough lumber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR H 91

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for asking this question, sorry if it is.

I recently made a couple of end grain cutting boards from white oak as a gift for someone, I used my planer/thicknesser to get the pieces perfectly flat, the boards were virtually flawless until a few days later, they were warped and twisted in all directions due to the nature of end grain boards drying in all different directions. My "workshop" if you can call it that, is only a single car garage, without much insulation on the door and single window. All of my machinery and tools are stored in here of course, along with any lumber I have.

Where is the best place to store lumber, to prevent the boards from acclimating differently in doors when the temperatures change? I'm getting slightly annoyed with making projects and having to flatten pieces again once they've been brought indoors. This is of course possible with cutting boards, but what if I wanted to make a finer piece of furniture that couldn't be disassembled?

Many thanks

wallace":3o3ltvk1 said:
Acclimatise your wood before you make the project, stick them under your bed :D
.....but make sure it doesn't stick out as a trip hazard - the LOML caught the edge of some American Black Walnut I had stored and I have yet to hear the end of it!

wallace":1bjayqfe said:

Thanks! How long usually? Also, how long do I have to work on a project before the acclimatised wood takes on moisture again?!

This is so frustrating :?

wallace":2e1wdlrq said:

+1 That's exactly what I said soon as read it - your post wasn't showing :)

MR H 91":2e1wdlrq said:
Thanks! How long usually? Also, how long do I have to work on a project before the acclimatised wood takes on moisture again?!

"as long as you can" and "work on it, then bring it back inside at the end of the day". Even during the better weather, my temp / humidity monitor is showing up to 60% humidity sometimes and it won't take endgrain wood very long to wick in ambient moisture, especially if it's thin enough for cutting boards.

Back