End Grain Inlay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of bits of London Plane a while back with spectacular endgrain.
I'd quite like to use some for inlay (into a Cherry tabletop).
Any potential issues with wood movement when inserting inlay the "wrong" way round ie endgrain facing up?
The inlay will be around 5mm max wide.

I've tried finding out in books about inlay but they're not very useful, unless you're particularly interested in photos of expensive guitars for hippies...

I can't see a problem. If there is to be any shrinkage in the inlay, putting it end on won't change anything.
Sycamore oysters were always end grain and were popular for a long time.

A few years ago, Condeesteeso showed a table with end grain inlay which looked lovely. It was in a discussion about planing - and I think if there is a challenge here, it's getting the end grain part level with the background when you plane or scrape the surface.

Tunbridgeware was made by building up pictures and patterns from the end grains of different-coloured woods, and could be quite elaborate. A bit of research on the techniques used might be useful.

The other 'end grain' technique that comes to mind is oyster veneering, often associated with laburnum. I gather that the biggest problem is getting the oysters (end grain slices of wet log) to dry without cracking up, so if you're cutting the London Plane after seasoning, you've already avoided most of the pitfalls. All you need is a large dollop of patience to cut the grooves, cut the infills, glue it all together and level it up after (keep plane irons and scrapers sharp, sharp, sharp!).

Ahem, yes, laburnum oysters were what I meant. :oops:

Maybe sycamore would work too.

Back