Bradburn Chisels - and hello!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day gents & ladies. I'm a newby to the forum, name's Martin, I'm 71 and live in the Swansea Valley in South Wales. Just developing an interest in woodwork, beginning by collecting a few things and learning how to sharpen chisels - and I've got the cuts on my fingers to prove it!
Bought five nice old Sorby chisels so far, and have seen from time to time some nice chisels with an indistinct mark - starts off BRAD... but then fades off and I've never seen the complete name. Could be Bradbury, Bradburn, or? Had a look around Google etc but can't find anything.

Anyone got any ideas? If so, are these chisels in the same league as old Sorbys, and should I buy them if the price is right?

What other names should I look out for in the old chisel department?

Welcome, Martin. Can't help you with the name but I expect ssomeone who can will be along soon, although the hand tools section is the best place for this sort of question.

Jim

Hi Jim - thanks for the welcome.

I thought I was in the hand tools section...oh dear...haven't I got a lot to learn!

Welcome to the forum Martin. There was (is?) a toolmaker called Braddes. Don't know if they made chisels.

John

William Brades were toolmakers on a huge scale, but in the Black Country, not Sheffield. Possibly better known for agricultural and horticultural tools, but their catalogues listed a full range of light edge tools, including chisels.
I went past the site that they used to occupy a while ago. There's no trace of the factory as far as I could see, but the name has been kept as "Brades Village" housing development.

Good quality tools btw. And welcome to the forum.

Hello John and Andy - thanks for the welcome.

Thanks for this Andy - sounds like John was on the right track then.

No pictures in the catalogue of what their name stamp on their chisels looked like, I suppose?

The stamping looks longer than just Braddes but I can only see the faintest mark of letters or maybe a trademark after the BRAD bit.

Looks like I should add them to my buying list.

BPM2 suggests 'Brades & Co'. It's possible that both marks - and others - were used over the firm's lifetime, which was a long one. The firm's proper name was William Hunt and Sons, which in the late 1700s purchased the Brades Estate in Oldbury to build their new factory, which became known as 'the Brades', hence the name's adoption as a trade mark.

Through a series of takeovers, they eventually became part of Spear and Jackson, and some of their products (WHS builder's trowels, for example) are still manufactured.

Bit more here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hunt_and_Sons and here - http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/William_Hunt_and_Sons

A note on what chisel brands to look out for - actually, that's quite a difficult question to answer, because there are probably several hundred! There were some big concerns that turned out chisels (and other tools) by the thousand (Marples, I&H Sorby, I Sorby, Robt Sorby, Ward and Payne (W&P) etc), but there were a great many smaller concerns who's products were just as good. Indeed, it's probably hard to go wrong - and it can be fun trying to pin down a bit of history for any unusual trademarks that turn up.

Thanks gents all.

Yes, could be the BradesCo version - I'll have to buy some more chisels and take a closer look.

The wiki writeup just shows how industry evolves -makes my head spin following all the name changes.

As for what to look out for, I think I'll stick to Sorby and Brades (or whoever they are) - I'll get overwhelmed otherwise!

Thanks again folks - I think I'm going to enjoy being a part of this forum, I only hope that I will be able to contribute one of these days.

MJP":vwsh8qp6 said:
Hi Jim - thanks for the welcome.

I thought I was in the hand tools section...oh dear...haven't I got a lot to learn!

You were Just me losing my grip!

Jim

MJP":1r6kbbu5 said:
As for what to look out for, I think I'll stick to Sorby and Brades (or whoever they are) - I'll get overwhelmed otherwise!................
Bear in mind that there are different Sorbys. Worth a study on their own.

Yes, I've read about the different Sorbys Roger - but for now, one Sorby is enough! I'll learn to differentiate them later on, once I begin to get a grasp of things.

At the same time that I bought the Sorbys (average £7 each in a local antiques mall) I scoured a junk yard opposite and bought a handful of dirt-encrusted chisels for £1 each just to practice sharpening...turns out that one of them is a beautiful 1/2" James Swan, 12" long overall in very nice condition once it had a wash and brush-up. A very pleasing find for a beginner.

MJP":2orts3cz said:
...turns out that one of them is a beautiful 1/2" James Swan, 12" long overall in very nice condition once it had a wash and brush-up. A very pleasing find for a beginner.
Nice find for anyone. :)

Back