...which handheld vacuum?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an 18v makita cordless for work and it was pretty pathetic. That put me off cordless vacs for a few years.
One of the best purchases I made by far, was buying a hoover cordless for home.
6db64b38e6f9c9e212a6510b220a8480.jpg

I think it's truly fantastic ! Lithium ion, up to 25 minute run time and sucks like a goodun. It's got two motorised heads, a small one and a big one and 3 other nozzle type attachments you can see in the pic. I hate housework but I'll quite happily have a whip round the kitchen while I'm waiting for my toast to pop up. It also does a good job of pulling dog hairs from carpets. It cost £130 from argos, and in my opinion, it's worth every penny !

Coley

I've got the little 18v makita one for work. We do a lot in food factories and it's perfect for getting little bits of insulation and swarf.

I have two Dyson Animal's up to 40min runtime on standard suction and 16mins on Boost, on that setting it lifts the carpet tile off the floor, two powered heads as standard and a flex'y hose for those awkward to reach place's, expensive, but value, had one for just over six years and another for five years still both going strong, 15mins re-charge time.

Mike

I have a Morphy Richards one, very similar to the Hoover one posted above. I have to say, I think they're utter buttocks. I also tried the VAX one, and that was buttocks too. With all three models I find that they only work well on laminate for bits of fluff. Anything more than that and they struggle to suck the bits up the tube to the bin. The bits tend to hover at the bottom of the stick in the brush part, so you think you got it up, but then when you switch it off, they fall back out and make a mess again.

And with carpet, I find you have to go over things multiple times or often it just won't pick it up, which is annoying.

So imo, if you're trying to replace your corded vacuum, you'll be disappointed. If you looking for something for the odd *small* mess, it does the job - kindof.

I'm all for cordless equipment as I absolutely hate trying to manage the cords around my wheelchair, but I don't think the technology is quite there yet, suction is a fraction of that of a mains hoover (which is of course to be expected). It's definitely improved over the last few years though so I'm hoping they will have cracked it in the next 5 years (using similar technology as the dewalt 60v setup).

I have a Milwaukee 18V. It is not quite hand held as there is a box with a short hose so really needs two hands or one if the hose will reach while the box is on the floor but it does wet/dry and has a decent suck. I use it for small jobs on customer premises where getting Henry out is too much trouble. It is very noisy and I have no idea how long a battery lasts as I never run it for very long but it does the job for me.

Back