Upgrade time!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoSevenNine

Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

So, thanks to this forum i've been a happy turner for about the last 2 years! :shock:

I originally landed a Record CL1 that had seen very little use and have been happily using it ever since, but inevitably, the time has come to upgrade!

Now that i know a bit more, i'd like to get away from Records 1mt and get something a bit beefier. Also although i rarely use it i've become accustomed to the option of a 3ft turning bed so ideally wouldn't want to go any shorter if possible. A solid bed instead of Records scaffolding poles would also be desirable.

I've been looking at Axminsters AWVSL1000, starter kit at £540 odd, as the record chuck/centres will no longer be of any use anyway so apart from gouges etc, i'll be starting from scratch again.

Basically my question is this...

Will this be enough of an upgrade or would i be better biting the bullet and spending a bit more on something else?

I'm based in N.Ireland so the used market is small and not everyone in the UK is willing to post, (for obvious reasons) so please bear in mind i will most likely have to buy brand new and my pockets are FAR from deep! :oops:

Any help appreciated gents!

Cheers,
Eddie.

I would be setting my sights higher as you have been turning for a couple of years looks like you are hooked only issue is how much do you want to spend

The primary question I would suggest is one of "swing". You've already stated you want to beef up and also keep your 3 foot between centres as well as move from steel cylinders to bed bars. That puts you into MT2, M33 territory which all the larger lathes now have. But what you haven't said is if you turn bowls and if so how large a diameter do you want? That will inform the size of lathe you'll need if you're to be content longer term and not be back to the upgrade table soon.

I have a AWVSL 1000 as a first lathe. As such it is a good value starter but I would now want to upgrade to something better. Main limitations seem to be:

- reeves drive can be relatively noisy compared to belt drive on normal pulleys
- although the head can rotate to allow larger bowls and platters in practice the fairly high low speed means that any out of
balance blanks will create unacceptable/dangerous vibration
- the tool rest extension supplied for head rotated turning is not sufficiently stable anyway
- stand is lightweight pressed steel - if doing the same again would put on sturdy bench with storage underneath

FWIW I would save a little more and get a "proper" variable speed unless the bed length is essential for longer spindles - eg Record DML320 approx £500 which will otherwise do all that the Axi will do with quieter operation and greater speed range. Most similar machines have bed extensions if you need it.

Thanks for the input, guys, much appreciated.

You know what, Terry, your 100% right.

The DML320 looks absolutely perfect. I've never had a problem with Record at all and this incarnation meets all my needs perfectly, with an option of a bed extension if needs be. Solid bed, proper vairable speed, 12" capacity over the bed and all at 2mt.

Sound advice and mind made up... LETS GET HER BOUGHT!! :shock:

Back