Rebuild or Replace Dewalt RAS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a dual saw setup in my workshop, an EB PK200 table saw, and a Dewalt 1251 RAS. The RAS is well worn, and even with full adjustment and fettling, there is a level of slop in the alignment once tightened up.

I feel like I have two options - one is to refurb the RAS, but I have no idea if this is cost effective or not, and how much of a restoration is practical (reading to be done). The other option is to sell the RAS (suspect I'll get a couple of hundred quid for it easily) and put that towards a high quality SCMS.

Any views/experiences with either strategy?

Set up is as good as it can be, I need to price up the activity to replace the bearings/alignment slots to remove the slop currently in it. I'm not yet clear how expensive or involved that will be, so assessing my options.

It all depends on what you do and what you use it for but SCMS is the reason RAS are not as popular as they used to be.

I have an Elu RAS and an Elu SCMS in my workshop, both of them are in good condition.

I use the SCMS all the time, it cuts spot on every time and is a great piece of kit, I keep it clean and blow out the dust every now and again. It is rigged up to a dust extractor and keeps the dust to a minimum.

The RAS tends to just sit there like a dusty ornament used once every blue moon, whilst being quite accurate it is not as user friendly and the dust extraction is quite poor in comparison to the SCMS.
I often think of getting rid of it but would probably regret it.

The spares are still available for both machines and as far as the ELU SCMS is concerned I have yet to find a better make.

Merlin

Do yourself a favour and fix up the ras. Most people haven't got one these days because they cost the best part of £2000 but there is a good reason for that.

powertools":1w2eqg0b said:
Do yourself a favour and fix up the ras. Most people haven't got one these days because they cost the best part of £2000 but there is a good reason for that.

That and the the fact they cut their own arms off using them :)

Interesting article on the dangers or ripping on an RAS here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... -rip/page2

I thought this post was enlightening, having never ripped or even considered ripping on an RAS.

Although rips can certainly be done on a RAS, they are messy and can be dangerous. Unlike crosscutting, where the blade either climb-cuts or is pushed into the stock while held against the fence, ripping must be done with the blade rotating directly toward the user. The blade guard must be tilted so its rear just clears the stock being ripped, preventing stock being lifted off the table. While this adds safety, the front edge of the blade facing the operator is exposed, and LOTS of sawdust is thrown directly into his face! Ripping on a RAS is a nasty operation!

Ripping is what table saws were designed for. They do it best! Crosscutting long stock on a TS is as awkward as ripping is on a RAS. Many forego the RAS in favour of sliding miter saws, but those often lack rock-solid stability to deliver perfect crosscuts or mitres. I Love My RAS's!

I disagree with the last sentence, my Makita LS1013 cuts perfectly whether crosscuts or mitres.

Mike

MikeJhn":idueo6gg said:
Interesting article on the dangers or ripping on an RAS here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... -rip/page2

I thought this post was enlightening, having never ripped or even considered ripping on an RAS.

Although rips can certainly be done on a RAS, they are messy and can be dangerous. Unlike crosscutting, where the blade either climb-cuts or is pushed into the stock while held against the fence, ripping must be done with the blade rotating directly toward the user. The blade guard must be tilted so its rear just clears the stock being ripped, preventing stock being lifted off the table. While this adds safety, the front edge of the blade facing the operator is exposed, and LOTS of sawdust is thrown directly into his face! Ripping on a RAS is a nasty operation!

Ripping is what table saws were designed for. They do it best! Crosscutting long stock on a TS is as awkward as ripping is on a RAS. Many forego the RAS in favour of sliding miter saws, but those often lack rock-solid stability to deliver perfect crosscuts or mitres. I Love My RAS's!

I disagree with the last sentence, my Makita LS1013 cuts perfectly whether crosscuts or mitres.

Mike

On My RAS there is a rod on the Guard, that can be adjusted to just clear the work, it has anti kick back fingers. This enables the guard to be at any angle ,but the base of it is best set horizontal.
I do not like ripping on RAS saws in fact having had several and still use one I am very careful when using it------- more so than any of my other power tools-------- but of course they all need care and attention.
Most of my RAS saws seemed to wear out the channels in the overhead arm (cast iron ) It may be too costly to repair if accuracy is required.
I think for a first user, it is important to have a negative rake blade,, not a hook one that came with mine, ----Little wonder the fence was smashed to pieces. When I bought it secondhand, otherwise in good condition
The saw itself can do many more things than ripping and cross cutting. However I am sure the original poster does not need to know that.
Cheers
Timber

Bodgers":31o2s3kn said:
powertools":31o2s3kn said:

That and the the fact they cut their own arms off using them :)

Don't understand where this Idea comes from that the ras is a machine that is so dangerous nobody should consider using one. I bought mine new in the 1980s long before the scms had been invented and although I would not consider ripping on it i consider it to be one of the most accurate and safest machines in my workshop. If I was starting out today I would buy an scms due to the much lower price and it's portability but having got the ras there is no way I would consider selling it to replace it with an scms it is a far more accurate and robust machine.

Back