In a 240v or 110v debate for Makita track saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomP

Established Member
Reaction score
Might sound like a bit of a weird debate but...

Im going to be ordering a Makita track saw. Currently I'm not working site so don't really have the need for 110v. I work as a handyman part time local whilst finishing Uni where i guess could be useful as other contractors seem to use 110.

However I'm currently having the debate whether to take up Carpentry/Joinery after Graduating in which 110v might come in handy.

I'm basically in a debate of spend out for transformer etc and potentially carry it around for no reason, with in the long term wish i got the 110v once had a need for it then be a bit stuck with a 240v.

Hope this makes sense, any advice welcome

Tom

All building sites should have a 110volt supply as the general supply around the site, 110 transformers can be picked up very cheaply on e-bay , but my are they heavy to lug around, the can also cause nuisance tripping of MCB's on domestic premises due to the inrush current exceeding the rating of the MCB when combined with other appliance's on the same ring main, but 110volts is much safer for all concerned on any premise's that has any building work being carried out.

Mike

thats true, my logic was kind of one will work for all, 240 wont.

There is always lots of debate about the 110v thing. I am a full time joiner but never work on site where 110v is needed, I am all 240v. I think it's a bit of a grey area as to if you need it in customers houses for insurance etc but somebody might put me straight on this. Transformers are a pain and for some things like if running a mitre saw and extractor you need a 5kva which is a beast to lug around. Some tools are less powerful in their 110v version also.

The above reasons are why everyone goes cordless whenever possible these days. Check out the Festool TSC55 it is sweet, don't know why makita have not released a cordless version of their track saw, they would sell loads.

Doug

Id get it if budget allowed. I can definitely see the cordless attraction, the other day at work was a busy one and all you could hear is "oi you've pinched my lead"

The regulations changed in 2015 on a qualifying domestic premises the Construction Design and Management regulations now apply to domestic premises, the also means the Health Safety and Welfare regulations also apply, so you should be using 110v on domestic premises there is no grey area.

Mike

MikeJhn":lo7oamos said:
The regulations changed in 2015 on a qualifying domestic premises the Construction Design and Management regulations now apply to domestic premises, the also means the Health Safety and Welfare regulations also apply, so you should be using 110v on domestic premises there is no grey area.

Mike

Thanks Mike, as I said I thought (hoped) someone would give me a definite answer on this.

I'm sure the reasons for and against 110v have been discussed to death on here so won't start up that debate again :roll:

Doug

If you have any plans to do off site work then 110v is best, if the prices are close then just easier to go that route anyway. If the 110 is a lot more expensive then you have to weigh up the pro's and cons.

Buy the Festool TSC,.
You'll have ticked many different boxes and ticked all very well.
Mobile charging ,,,, buy an inverter for the car/van. No need to use "site supply" anywhere.

Back