Workbench build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimoernie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Longtime lurker eventually poking his head around the workshop door for advice...

I'm building a workbench. Having read several threads on how to build, what to build, experience and ability level being taken into account, I am settled on a relatively simple design. The cross-members will be 4x2s, and the uprights will be 3x3. I thought of using lap joints for the frame to joint the cross-members to the uprights. The top will be whatever I can find that is sturdy enough. The whole thing will then be secured to the garage wall, so that should help with stability.

My question is this - for the lap joints, would screws and glue suffice, or should I stick a couple of bolts through each joint instead? What would be my strongest configuration? Mortices and tenons are out, I have tried a couple and they were rubbish. I want to learn how to do those in time, but I don't want to aim too high. I want to have a functioning bench that is cheap and cheerful and can be replaced in time.

Thanks for reading. Any advice thoughtfully considered.

Ray.

Wiser heads will be along shortly re your bolts vs screws question, but in case it helps, a sheet of ply screwed across the back of the frame and another across the rails will help to add a lot of rigidity. And the one across the rails makes a handy shelf.

If you have nice tight fitting joints, then you shouldn't really need screws or bolts as the glue is very strong in itself. However, if your joints are a little sloppy/gappy, then the glue won't have as much surface to adhere to (wood glue is not a gap filler and as such will not bond two surfaces that are too far apart), and will fail rather quickly as it will allow for movement in the joint that will gradually weaken (due to vibraiton and stress of the bench) the other areas until the whole joint fails. So in that situation, a few screws or bolts would give you peace of mind. Another option would be to drill holes and insert some beefy 14mm dowels, which look a lot better than screws.

Personally, I think you should build a bench to be as robust as possible, functionality over aesthetics. I don't think there is any overkill in this situation.

My first bench was built using a pile of CLS 4x2, a box of Simpson brackets (https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sim ... kbench-Kit), some decking screws, an MFT MDF top and some 18mm ply on shelf pins for a big shelf underneath.

The brackets made it an absolute doddle and rock solid. Used them to make a frame the top sits on and then lipped it with 4x2 PAR redwood to hold the top in place. Took less than a day to make. Probably cost about £150 all in a couple of years ago.

Edit to add photo of pristine bench. And yes, I did go a bit crazy with the 20mm dog holes... but I have used most of them at some point along the way.

Attachments

• IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 205
Ray - I think you've got just about the right idea. Use whatever materials and methods best suit you, get a bench together 'quick and dirty', and then USE it. That'll tell you far more about what YOU want from a bench than we (or books, or videos) ever could, so if you do end up feeling that a mark 2 is necessary, you'll know what to incorporate, and your skills will have advanced a bit by then as well.

By the way - if you do screw it together, don't bother with the glue, just use plenty of screws. It'll be just as solid, and if you do need to dismantle it at some point in the future, it'll be that much easier.

Guys - thanks so much for your feedback already, I'm feeling enthusiastic about this build again. I think I will press ahead and make it "plenty strong enough". I might not put just quite as many dog holes in mine as you did Nelsun! It really does look the part though. Thanks guys, and if I remember to take some photos I will post them for your delectation...

Thanks Orraloon, some of those benches look like something I could maybe attempt! Now, who wants to come round and help me clear out my garage to make room? Anyone? :D :lol: I thought not.

Latest posts

Back