Fixing a post....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest some solutions?

Problem:
I want to mount some posts vertically on a horizontal slab which is the 'roof' of a couple of 'outbuildings'. The slab is about 4" thick and, because of the slope in our garden, only about 18" from the ground, right next to our narrow front path. The posts will support trellis (2'-3') around some edges of the slab and a light-weight gate (across the path).
path1.JPG

The gate would effectively hinge on the short protruding edge of the slab (and/or the post directly above).
The post with the gate can/will have posts either side of it on the slab with trellis/bracing. The plan is to create a large planter (dry wall breeze-block? timber?) to grow climbing plants. The trellis will support the plants. This will hide part of the ugly slab, and the gate will deter the dogs from terrorising the posty. It need only be a light-weight gate as the dogs are getting old and and lazy and so are easily thwarted.

The post that will support the gate needs to be as close to the corner of the slab as possible so that the gate can swing open as much out of the way as possible. I would ideally like some kind of metal bracket to fix the post in, but with two adjacent sides fixing horizontally to the top of the slab, and two adjacent sides fixing vertically to the sides of the slab.

Does anything like this bracket exist? What do I search for? Am I unrealistic in expecting fixings into concrete to cope with this? An alternate idea might be to incorporate the hinge post into the planter.

I sort-of know what I want, but not how best to achieve it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Phill

Attachments

• path1.JPG
    path1.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 1,185
Bod":74iko6qh said:
Something like this..http://www.screwfix.com/p/bolt-down-pos ... pack/99237
Better to use the chemical bolt fastenings rather than the expanding type, for fixing to the slabs.

Sort of, thanks, I can use that kind of thing for most of the posts but I cannot hit those particular ones right into the corner. If one side of the bracket was bent down vertical so I could screw horizontally into the slab it would work.

And I need to investigate the 'chemical bolt fastenings' - some sort of glue in the hole rather than an expansion fit? That would alleviate some of my concerns about fracturing the slab.

Can you use a piece of angle iron, concrete it in to the ground with just a light fixing into your slab for good measure then fix your post to that.

Chrispy":5j988zr2 said:
Can you use a piece of angle iron, concrete it in to the ground with just a light fixing into your slab for good measure then fix your post to that.

A good bit of lateral thinking, but you did not know the entire situation..... I do not really want to do anything at/to ground level, as this area collects a bit of water when it rains. not a lot but some. Anything that obstructs run off or might be damaged by damp is probably a bad idea. The long (very) term plan is to lay pavoirs(?) down the entire path with a metal gutter at ground level at the edge instead of the current roof gutter. A piece of angle iron would disrupt this.

I am wondering if it would be sensible to build a wood planter (tanalised 6x2s), bolt this down to the slab and fix the gate (and trellis) to the planter. I have the tools and skills for this - I have built raised beds like this with 2x2 in the corners to bolt through to. They seem pretty immovable when full of soil. The planter might be 5' x 2' x 18" deep.

I think the planter idea is a good one.

I have used the Screwfix post anchors on the edge of a 6" thick slab. I bent the wider edge of the post anchor through 90 degrees and screwed that into the face edge pf the slab and 2 bolts chemically anchored into the slab top. A bit of a PITA to bend the metal post anchor but 18 months later it is still holding up well. Don't forget to paint the anchor once bent.

beech1948":sfpg396e said:
I think the planter idea is a good one.

I have used the Screwfix post anchors on the edge of a 6" thick slab. I bent the wider edge of the post anchor through 90 degrees and screwed that into the face edge pf the slab and 2 bolts chemically anchored into the slab top. A bit of a PITA to bend the metal post anchor but 18 months later it is still holding up well. Don't forget to paint the anchor once bent.

Thanks beech - it is good to know that bending works as that was my first thought. I was hoping that it was a common enough requirement for there to be a commercial offering (my vice is likely not man enough). However, the planter-as-a-post fixing is sounding attractive at the moment.

Whenever you're in doubt about using expansion fixings chemical resin is a good alternative. If you're not used to using it I have just one tip - make sure you have absolutely everything you need to hand before you start!

Paul

Paul200":319k7b9y said:
Whenever you're in doubt about using expansion fixings chemical resin is a good alternative. If you're not used to using it I have just one tip - make sure you have absolutely everything you need to hand before you start!
Thanks - I will probably use it for this job whichever solution I choose. I will need to read about it first though - never needed it before.

It's a great alternative - especially in your situation. Not only is it good when fixing close to edges but it seals itself against water ingress so no problems with frost getting in there. Plenty of info online but if you have any questions I'll try to answer them. I used to sell the stuff and it always surprised me how few people, even builders, knew of it. I'm a big fan!

Latest posts

Back