XR 18v DeWalt jigsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got one of these, I think it is a cracking tool - except for one thing - if I cut more than a minute or so the base plate will come loose and the saw acts as it has a coping foot on it (which renders it near useless, really). The plate is held by a cam operated by a lever which is too long anyway - it catches on things in use, however this is solvable - I'll cut the thing off. The mechanism itself is tightened up with a tiny Torx screw and this is the problem - I suspect it merely needs tightening but it seems to be in some sort of thread lock and it doesn't want to move. I'm afraid to strip it while the tool's still under warranty, but I could do without the cost of returning it by courier. Has anyone had this problem? If the thing wasn't guaranteed I'd look to do away with the lever and just bolt the plate down square - for 5000 square cuts any inconvenience in undoing it for one angled one would be justified. I shall give the firm a ring tomorrow before I go any further, but just wondered if anyone else had had the same problem?

The Dewalt corded version of this has the same problem and according to the Dewalt rep I spoke to at a demo they have been aware of this for years. The fact that they are still making and selling them tells you a lot about this company's attitude towards their customers. I have the corded one and I prefer to use a Bosch diy one as it is more accurate!

Mike

Yes ...I had a DeWalt 7 1/4" saw that I felt guilty selling on, I thought it so dangerous. It was virtually impossible to use without starting with your fingers under the blade guard. I pointed out its shortfalls to one of the DeWalt demonstrators and he just said yes, the new ones are a bit better but not much. :D This might have spurred on my hatred of 7 1/4" saws. I cut a curve through a piece of whitewood nearly 4" deep (the longest blade I had) which was perfectly clean and entered, held, and exited at a perfect ninety degrees. my old mains Bosch was a great bit of kit, but it wouldn't have done that.

My Dewalt jigsaw did it from brand new. Its a design issue which has never been corrected, despite being aware of it for years.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else have problems with the blade holder on the deWalt jigsaw? Mine is a complete pig to release; the jaws seem to stick in the holder and can only be released with a punch tapped on the exposed ends. Its slightly better if the lock/release handle on top is not fully tightened, but not reliably so.
Dewalt make great play about how wonerful the blade release is, but compared to the SDS one on Bosch jigsaw, it's a total disaster. Even the old screwdriver operated ones on cheap B&D saws were superior.

Back