using hand plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleOaks

Reaction score
I am a new member but I have always used power tools as DIY and learned on the job. It would be good to use some old hand planes that I have inherited, they are really sharp but I have no real idea of how to use them properly or set them up properly.

Any pointers would be appreciated

LittleOaks":2vwsp48o said:
I am a new member but I have always used power tools as DIY and learned on the job. It would be good to use some old hand planes that I have inherited, they are really sharp but I have no real idea of how to use them properly or set them up properly.

Any pointers would be appreciated

do everything he says in this video and you can't go wrong, it's a good starting point and well worth the effort doing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYyV6IUpsYk

Is he wearing a french maids outfit the other side of that bench? it's ruined the whole channel for me.

thanks you so much for the video link, it was very informative and I now need to revisit my clean ups and do more!

could still do with finding out about setting the plane though if any more suggestions?

great there is so much advice available !

thanks for the second link. I will need to watch a coupl eof times i think, first though fettle the planes . I have been given chance to sharpen the blades on a Tormeg whetstone and jig so I hope I do not need the plasters they provide free with the stones !

curious looking at the forums as a newbie to hand tools , how to determine what second hand / inherited plane is classified as? i see numbers such as 5 or 4 and Half floated around but what is the logic, is there any global rule for reference number or useage? i have been lucky to have possession of about 6-7 planes and love the feel of shaving layers by hand but keen to know more and things correctly as a slip could be painful to pocket and hands !

LittleOaks":1iyyf9t8 said:
curious looking at the forums as a newbie to hand tools , how to determine what second hand / inherited plane is classified as? i see numbers such as 5 or 4 and Half floated around but what is the logic, is there any global rule for reference number or useage? i have been lucky to have possession of about 6-7 planes and love the feel of shaving layers by hand but keen to know more and things correctly as a slip could be painful to pocket and hands !

Mostly they will have the number cast into the body of the plane, but as a general rule it's the length and width of the plane that indicate it's number. i.e. 1 --> 8 gets longer. The "1/2" versions of the 4 and 5 planes indicate a wider body and slightly longer length than the non "1/2" versions of the same number.

This website is extremely comprehensive when it comes to Stanley's range of planes, and these pretty much set the number standard as far as I can work out, that other manufacturers followed; i.e a No. 4 plane is going to be the same across any manufacturer, modern or old.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Find a copy of Planecraft, Hand Planing by Modern Methods. Preferably the 1959 version, this will tell you all you need to know about metal hand planes.
Published by C&J Hampton LTD. Out of print, but findable.

Bod

LittleOaks":3spws96c said:
...and I now need to revisit my clean ups and do more!
Not necessarily. Cleaning up a hand plane isn't something to be done by rote checking off a list that someone else drew up. Many people do some unnecessary steps and consider them essential, some take certain steps too far. Flattening the soles is the main culprit here, it's often done when it wasn't needed and it's often over-done when it is.

The first thing you should do with an old plane once you have the iron sharpened is try it out on some wood, not check the sole for flatness by rubbing it over abrasive paper. It might work fine with a sole that isn't perfectly flat. Many planes do.

Proper function aside, as far as looks go you can do as much or as little as you like. Some people like their planes to look nearly like new or even better than new in some cases, others prefer older planes to retain some or all of their original patina so they look their age. Completely up to you how far you take it.

In terms of what can/should be done in restoring or rehabbing old planes there are many threads here and on other forums on the subject you can read over if you're interested. Here's one I started about a year ago: Re-commissioning old planes, what's worth your time?

And another similar thread from a few months prior: Tool restoration; how far should we go?

LittleOaks":3spws96c said:
could still do with finding out about setting the plane though if any more suggestions?
If you need all the information from the ground up the very basics are covered in many books for beginners as well as in numerous articles online.

Here's one: Handplaning 101 It's not the best and it's not the worst but it's a good place to start.

thanks to all for your help and advice
I really appreciate the time and interest that has been given, it is really nice to know that there are people out there who are willing to help a novice learn.
long may the culture live on !

For reference I found an "old" (circa 1980's so not hugely old, but not new either) Stnaley Handyman (looks to be size 4 or 5) in my dads shed when we moved house for him.
I finally got round to sharpening the blade this weekend and having a crack at hand planing. I've no idea if the sole is flat or not, nor do I really care im some respects. The sharp blade made it work like a charm and I successfully smoothed out some rough sawn hardwood board :) cant wait to attempt jointing with it.

Back