getting wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayben

Established Member
Reaction score
Watched a programme on tv about a woman who gets stuff from the local waste disposal depo and gets stuff made from what she collects, so I thought I would take a trip down to my local waste disposal you wouldn't believe the amount of wood in all forms that was being thrown away scrap,old furniture.I asked the lads on the sight if it was ok to take some no problem was the reply come when ever you want.just thought I would share this with you all might save you some money.
Regards Ray

similar here, never asked but im sure they wont allow getting stuff out the skips. think they only allow her to do that because of the programme.

I can take as much wood as I can carry from my local tip. They are happy to get rid of it.

Claymore":2nzpw9sv said:
once the wood is planed/sanded etc its just like new
Brian

And there lies the problem for scroll saw owners like myself, whose only woodworking tools are the scroll saw. When Brian Bennet was still with us, he brought me a load of wood but it all needs sanding and lots of it is cupped so could do with planing as well, so it's stuck in the shed doing nothing. This is the reason I make most things from plywood. Actually, I do have a Clarke 4" belt sander, but I think it was manufactured for sanding jelly. Anything tougher and it lets the pixie smoke out. :)

Chaps at our local RECYCLING yard won't let you near the skips. They say it is Council rules that determine " what comes in, stays in ".
While at the dentist yesterday I popped along to a local charity shop and the had a nice wooden table with a broken leg they were going to dump. I have no room at the moment but told the chap to hang on to bits for me. He was quite happy and he knows the difference between mdf, chipboard and solid wood.

take care
Don W

more chance of getting blood from a stone than getting anything out of the one near me.
The council sold it off to a 3rd party, which means waste is now a product they can sell.

If it's metal it's worth something, if it's plastic, it's worth something, we want your electronics (theres gold in them there tellies) we want your wood, we want you fabrics and your oil, and if we can't sell it as is, we rot it down and make soil or we burn it and make ash, here at dumpy grubs emporium of scrat, theres nothing we wont make a quick buck on and all the better that you gave it to us for free. :)

one mans waste is another mans gold, it's like a tosher has gone and become all legit.

Same here, our local recycling plant won't allow anything out.

That said, I took an old beer barrel there last year, one for home brew. One of the council workers there put it straight in his car.

Back