Mounting hardware, screw holes in join

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Percy

Established Member
Reaction score
It's my own fault, but so frustrating. Just finishing a piece of work, needed a catch to put on a door. Found something online (Rutlands) and ordered it. When it arrived, found out that the screw holes lined up with a join.
WIN_20170222_18_05_10_Pro.gif

I guess the only thing I can do is to make a mount which covers the door, fix that to the door, then fix the catch to the mount. Bit clunky, unless anyone has any bright ideas...?

cheers

Attachments

• WIN_20170222_18_05_10_Pro.gif
    WIN_20170222_18_05_10_Pro.gif
    100.3 KB · Views: 141
I dont see much of a problem. Just drill pilot holes the same diameter as the body of the screws and the wood will not distort in any way.

sunnybob":3t0fke5z said:
I dont see much of a problem. Just drill pilot holes the same diameter as the body of the screws and the wood will not distort in any way.
oh ok, worrying over nothing? ta!

Personally I would drill out oversize (just keep within footprint of catch) and glue in wood dowel plugs to take screws.

Unless its craftsmanship work and to be inspected by important people, or youre going to swing from it over a life threatening drop, theres no problem. Its only a door catch, when all is said and done. If its to be out in weather then coat the join in poly or some other suitable protection.

#-o
CHJ":244youy5 said:
Personally I would drill out oversize (just keep within footprint of catch) and glue in wood dowel plugs to take screws.
I'll store that nugget away, thanks.

Back