Block plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Quangsheng block plane which is lovely, however I am struggling to use it one handed as my hands are quite small.

Any recommendations for a make that is as nice but a bit smaller, or should I just persevere?

Thoughts? Many thanks

I also have quite small hands,I have the Lie Neilsen bronze block planes which are very useful and fit my hand perfectly.I was given the new Clifton block plane as a present two years ago and it is lovely but a little heavy for regular use,it is however very useful as it has an adjustable mouth for use on difficult grain.Hope this helps.By the way if I were to choose just one then it would be the low angle bronze Lie Neilsen.

I recently bought a 102 from workshop heaven and love it. I have got large hands but it just feels so nice to use, even though I have large hands I find a 60 1/2 a little too large for single handed and a bit awkward to use double handed. The 102 however is just perfect. Highly recommended.

Matt

I find the Lie Nielsen 60 1/2 a bit heavy for my hands ...I don't have much finger strength though...
Even though I know it's made from ductile iron... I'm still terrified of dropping it.
It does wonderfully the few times I used it though .
I made a long dowel about the thickness of the tip of a snooker cue and it was such a sure thing to use.
no flat spots ...delighted with it :D

my favourite plane, not that I have many, is the LN 102. I think that it would fit your requirements. I have average sizes hands, and it is only just the right size for me- any smaller and I would struggle.

Mrs C":2j0xi54i said:
I am struggling to use it one handed as my hands are quite small.
Can I ask are you using it one-handed because you think you're supposed to or because you are using it for tasks where you can only hold it with one hand?

There's no rule that says block planes are exclusively one-handed planes. The larger ones I think were originally intended to be used with a steadying second hand which is why they were provided with proper wooden front knobs and not the stubby brass ones that came later. Only the very smallest block planes (these usually without an adjustable mouth) are definitely intended to be one-handers, and they may not be suitable for fine work as a result.

I find even the smaller of the two block planes I have, an exact copy of a Stanley 60 1/2 with no branding, not easy to use one-handed. I can hold it fine, but manipulating it in use I struggle with so I will generally grip the front knob with my left when actually running it over wood. My hands are smallish for a bloke my height but likely larger than yours so I think any of the clones of a 60 1/2 are probably ruled out.

To answer the last, because I am to idle to clamp things down, but will try two handed.

Thank you for your thoughts. Sounds like a trip to a proper tool shop is in order. Husband wont complain - he is worried that one day I will convert to normal and start dragging him round shoe shops :)

ED65":1flrq4lf said:
There's no rule that says block planes are exclusively one-handed planes. .....
You can do what you like with them but the main point of the block plane is for one handed use - one finger on the the knob or button. If you are using two hands you'd do better with a two handed plane 3 or above.
One handed also means that LN et al have somewhat missed the point* with their heavyweight versions. My favourite is the older Stanley 220, later ones are heavier.

*PS not to mention the astronomical cost!!

Lighter and a lot cheaper than the LN 102, the Stanley 102

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Stanl ... Sw32lYqZTv

Record 102 here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Tools-Rec ... SwdGFYpgzD

Jacob,
Surely it depends on the size of the bit of wood you are planing ?

I spend my life pratting about with parquet flooring so i have loads of block planes and chariots in search of perfection. I could happily just survive with my Rider 69 1/2 and 4 inch chariot. I did treat myself to LN 102 but couldn't sell it quick enough, yuck too small for this tall chap.

The Rider is a big heavy beast, you can pick up something a lot lighter like the Stanley knuckle, 60 1/2 or 9 1/2 cheap enough on the bay if you avoid buy it now and shiny examples.

Mr_P":344e7l3v said:
Jacob,
Surely it depends on the size of the bit of wood you are planing ?
Well yes but I always think of a block plane as a fettling sort of plane - trimming off tenon ends, putting a bevel on the arris, door final fitting, etc most of these one handed whilst you hold the workpiece with the other. Even if it's held in a vice I'd still be using one hand.

Mrs C":ctzir5hy said:
To answer the last, because I am to idle to clamp things down, but will try two handed.
No need to clamp most work when planing on a bench/work table, just use a stop of some kind instead.

If you can't add a rising stop or arrange something using bench dogs you can knock up a planing hook (bench hook with a low rear stop) in about five minutes that'll handle all your smaller planing tasks. Actually they're very useful regardless of how your bench is fixed so I'd recommend making one anyway.

Just one small length of plywood or MDF and some scraps of wood, a few nails and some glue is all you need for a serviceable one that'll do you for the next few years.

CTPuXVi.png

Oh and lookit, block plane being used with two hands :D

Another vote for the Luban 102 copy, I took delivery of one earlier in the month from Workshop Heaven and it's worth every penny.

Another contender would be some of the Veritas block planes which offer the same footprint but allow a rear handle to be attached if needed.

https://www.fine-tools.com/veritas-einhandhobel.html

I feel your pain on the QS block plane's being a tad heavy over an extended period.

Stanley 93?
Not a block plane as such, but small enough for single handed use.

Bod

For anyone interested I have solved my problem by sticking a small piece of leather onto the cap iron with double sided sticky tape. I can now wedge the heel of my hand against the cap iron without it slipping and successfully use one handed.

Back