Burning Holes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I have drilled \ burnt some holes in some oak
now I need to clean up
the burnt offerings are about 50mm diameter and 25mm deep
can i use a dremmel ? or do i need invest in a bobbin sander?

Steve

Can't answer your question but I have a suggestion. Perhaps you should also invest in some new drill bits, or a drill sharpener? If you are using a saw tooth bit, they can be sharpened with a file.

K

Forstner style bits are easy to sharpen (and they need sharpening fairly regularly too, in fact they're often not very sharp even when brand new). That, along with selecting the correct speed, will fix burning.

This is what woodworking is all about, it's always easier and quicker to pause and get the preparation and tool maintenance right rather than try and patch up the job afterwards. Scorch marks run deep, and in two of the four quadrants you'll be sanding into end grain, so instead of a round hole of a specific diameter you'll end up with an oval of a different diameter. That'll likely cause more problems further down the line. Start again, do it right, and chalk it down to experience.

Some 80 grit paper will get rid of the worst by hand.

As Custard says though, burn marks can be very difficult to get rid of as in some places they will go deep into the fibres.

Latest posts

Back