Turning apple

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any fruit wood is good for turning, that includes fruit bearing woods found in the hedgerow.
They can be prone to cracking if dried too quickly.

with care I have to say that fruit woods in general are fabulous subjects for turning the reasons being they frequently have beautiful and very varied grain patterns (especially Cherry). The grain structure is often very dense (especially Apple) and can therefore take excellent fine details and a lovely finish.

Personally I've turned Damson, Plum, Pear, Apple and Cherry and I'm rarely disappointed in the way they behave on the lathe.

The care aspect is of course in their drying because they are a bit on the splitty side! Slow drying and slowing down of moisture loss from the end grain is the order of the day. If you have the expectation of fruit turning being a long game rather than a short term fix then more pieces will survive. Also have the expectation that its a bit of a numbers game and you will lose some pieces to cracking, splitting etc.

Back