WOOD ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy43

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all
A friend has a bit of this wood, does anyone know what it is?
cheers
Andy
wood2.jpg

wood.jpg

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 973
  • wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 973
Definitely not yew I'm afraid but I think it may be Elm long time since I have seen any green.

I did a google reverse image search on the pic that showed the bark and it came up with : 'tree'

Which seems accurate enough!

Also it gave similar images which related to disease identification and elm trees.

I guess the chunk out of the side and the black bit (presumably metal) is a test with an augur.

My guess would therefore be elm as well. Though it's bigger than any elm I've seen for 40 years or so!

You need to get yourself down to Yandles keith. The Elm trunk slices they have in there (last time I went) were 4 foot across a single waney edge board. Absolutely stunning.

As to the wood, all I can attest to is that it's an interesting conundrum. I also echo that it's definitely not Yew and I would add it's not Oak either. It could be Elm and there is a very slim possibility for Olive Ash too but only if the photo was taken when the wood was absolutely soaking wet. I think Ash is much less likely. The grain looks extremely like wild cherry and yet the bark is nothing at all like Cherry and in fact rules that out. It's got a look of some wet chestnut I've seen before too but in terms of a definitive answer, I just couldn't say.

Walnut would be my first thought. Looks like there it has dark heartwood and a broad band of sap which is indicative of walnut but hard to make out due to water on the end. Also the bark looks right.

Hi Guys thanks for the replies, it does seem that it is elm after roughing one of the pieces out, so well done Chrispy and Keithie, pics can be a bit deceiving keithie the logs are only 12" diameter and my friend only cut them 10" long and not sure why I would stick an auger in the side to test mate :D . anyway a pic of the bowl roughed out
cheers
Andy
elm b.jpg

elmb.jpg

Attachments

• elm b.jpg
    elm b.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 834
  • elmb.jpg
    elmb.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 834
Could be wych elm, it's not affected by Dutch elm disease so more likely to get to the size you have there.

Back