New Record PT 107 advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Just got myself a new toy, a Record 107 Planer thicknesser. Put it together and onto wheels as I'm short of space. However, there appears to be a bit of a problem. To move from surface planing to thicknessing you have to fold up the cast iron beds up through 90 degrees and to do this the fence must be removed. The only way to do this is to undo two machine screws, which appears to be of a faff. You cannot just slide the fence out because it fouls the blade guard. Anyone got one of these and can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Hi you should be able to move the blade guard out of the way by lifting it anti clockwise on it's pivot so that the fence slides out, there should be no need to remove machines screws. I have the axminster model similar to the 107 and thats all I do

just watched the youtube video and there is no need to remove the fence at all you slide it back off the table tilt it slightly away from the 90 degree angle and the tables will then lift up

Thanks Cedarwood.

Your solution is what I thought should be done, but I can't lift the arm that holds the blade guard. It is held by a large bolt and a large round stud that locates into a hole in the arm. This stud stops the arm from rotating up and out of the way of the fence so it can be removed.

Hi All

Sortied the problem. Rang Record Power. They told me that the problem was I had tightened the 10mm bolt too much. It should be left loose enough for the blade guard arm to be pulled out of the stud so allowing the arm to be rotated out of the way. To me this does not appear very satisfactory, either you leave it loose and the arm can vibrate of the stud causing the guard to fall or every time you need to move the arm you get a spanner and loosen the bolt. Both options are pretty poor. So I came up with tow solutions of my own.

First was to put a spring on the bolt between the head and the spacer. The spring holds the Arm on the stud and avoids it vibrating off.

IMG_1339.JPG

The second was to replace the 10mm bolt with a knob as shown below. this allows the arm to be tightened in place and loosened when it needs rotating out of the way.

IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG

I think i'll go for the second option.

Sorry the pictures are side on :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1338.JPG